3 month old bloating - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-28-2017, 01:09 AM   #1
Kealo
3 month old bloating

I have a 3 month old trans witblits and I’m not sure if he’s sick or it’s just the winter time reaction from him but he looks very bloated and always sleeps but he is active just not to much anymore he’s more chill but still runs around and acts normal can anybody help also I am new to owning a beared dragon
Attached Images

Old 11-29-2017, 09:00 PM   #2
Dyscophus antongilii
I have a few questions. Hopefully, you do not mind.

How long have you had your specimen? How long has his appetite "appeared different?"

What are his tank temps? What is his current set up? What are your room temps? What have you been feeding your specimen?

Thanks.

Old 12-05-2017, 02:46 PM   #3
Kealo
I’ve had him for 2 months since I bought bigger roaches he hasn’t eaten many maybe like 3-4 weeks it’s between 82-89 daytime and 90-95 night his set up is just a rock he can go under a branch and 2 water bowls with a green carpet and I feed him Dubai Roaches and collard greens recently I changed the bulb to a higher watt daytime is 90-95 and night time remains the same also I took him to the vet he said he has coccidia so I have him the 2 treatments and he has been more Sleepy and not eating as much he just likes to lay on my chest and go to sleep and gets mad when I put him back in his tank

Old 12-05-2017, 05:59 PM   #4
angie.h
Hi there, for one thing your night temp. being 90 or close to it is way too high. If your house doesn't get below 67 at night you don't need any night heat. If you need night heat, use a CHE [ ceramic heat emitter ] to keep the temp. around 70-75 at night. He does need a 100F basking temp. during the day, the " cool" side no more than 82F. Can you post pics of his set up , including placement of the light and list the exact type of lights you have ?

Be sure the roaches are not too large [ smaller than the space between his eyes for sure ] If he has not poo'd in a few days he may be impacted. Be sure to offer water orally using an eyedropper or spray [ gently ] with a spray bottle directly on his snout. You can also offer a bit of watered down baby food squash/sweet potato/prunes with a few drops of live oil via syringe if he seems constipated/impacted.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:48 PM   #5
Dyscophus antongilii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kealo View Post
I’ve had him for 2 months
Has he grown in that time period? Are you sure it is a male? Do you routinely weigh him on a gram scale? If so, are you keeping track of his/her weight?

Quote:
since I bought bigger roaches he hasn’t eaten many
I would recommend going back to the smaller prey items. Try to keep the prey items, no larger then the space between your specimens eyes.

Quote:
maybe like 3-4 weeks
That you have had your Pogona vitticeps or changed the prey item size?

Quote:
between 82-89 daytime
That is not too bad. You do ideally, want a basking spot/site of around 100 degrees. That helps aide in proper digestion.

Quote:
2and 90-95 night his set up is just a rock
I am NOT a proponent of using hot rocks. Do you mean the hot rock is set to the low to mid nineties? Or, the ambient air temperature, in the enclosure is that high? If you mean the ambient air temperature that is way too high. The mid to high sixes would be a good ambient air temperatures.

Quote:
he can go under a branch
Just make sure he isn't injured when he does that. What type of substrate do you have in the enclosure?

Quote:
and 2 water bowls
Can I ask why? They are a desert species. So, they get the water they need from the insects and greens they eat. Plus, do not need high humidity.

Quote:
with a green carpet
That is substrate I am NOT really a big fan of. I would rather use paper towels, brown paper bags, and such.

Quote:
and I feed him Dubai Roaches and collard greens
As previously stated, I would recommend a smaller size Dubai. Or, I would go for quarter to half inch crickets.

Quote:
recently I changed the bulb to a higher watt daytime is 90-95
What is the cool side of the tank? Hopefully, the whole tank is not kept that warm. Remember, reptiles and amphibians adjust body temperature via thermoregulation.

Quote:
and night time remains the same
Again, I would recommend a lower night time temperature.

Quote:
also I took him to the vet he said he has coccidia
I am sorry your specimen is sick. However, I think it is fantastic, you took him/her to a veterinarian. Is this a veterinarian that specializes in reptiles/exotics?

Quote:
so I have him the 2 treatments
What medication did the veterinarian prescribe? How long are you supposed to give the medication? How often, in a twenty four hour period, do you need to give the medication?

Quote:
and he has been more Sleepy and not eating as much
Since, the medication or the increased size in the prey items you have been offering him/her?

Quote:
he just likes to lay on my chest and go to sleep
How long and how often are you doing that? Can I ask why?

Quote:
and gets mad when I put him back in his tank
How can you tell? I.E. what behaviors does he/she exhibit that make you feel that way?

Old 11-29-2019, 03:51 PM   #6
Papa Dragon
I had the same issue with my little guy. I guess I was feeding him roaches that were too large so I had to downsize. Unfortunately its hard to determine the sizes based on a small medium large, a good way I found how to judge is by comparing them to a quarter. I kinda stole the idea from this site... https://dragonsdiet.com/

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!