Mountain Horned Dragon Eggs Hatching! - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Other Lizards Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-17-2007, 11:03 PM   #11
Mad4You2
Hi Guys,

I weighed everyone today. I also tried to get them to perch on the ruler or hold it up beside them but I didn’t get anything exact. They are between 1.25 and 1.50 inches snout to vent and around 3 inches total.
1 - 1.7 grams
2 - 1.6 grams
2 - 1.5 grams - Crash is one of these
2 - 1.4 grams
1 - 1.2 grams

Of course, I’ll post more pics as I take them! Angie

Old 06-23-2007, 11:06 PM   #12
Mad4You2
Weights as of 6/23/07 - babies are 1 month old now...

1 - 1.8 grams
1 - 1.7 grams
1 - 1.6 grams - Crash
2 - 1.5 grams
1 - 1.4 grams
1 - 1.3 grams
1 - 1.2 grams

I was disappointed that the weight gains weren’t more this week. We were looking at all of them together and they all look bigger...I did weigh in the morning instead of afternoon today. That could have had something to do with points of a gram - I know the BDs will really lose or gain depending on timing of their intake and elimination. There are 3-4 of them that have heads noticeably bigger than the others. More info as it’s gathered...Angie

Old 06-25-2007, 11:55 PM   #13
Mad4You2
Baby pictures at 4 weeks

Lounging babies at 4wks

Bucket of babies after weights and while cage was being cleaned...I lost one...forgot he was in the cup I use to weigh them still on the scale - freaked me out when I couldn't find him. I counted them over and over!

Basking babies...

Old 07-02-2007, 12:04 AM   #14
Mad4You2
5 week weight updates:
2 - 1.9
1 - 1.8
1 - 1.7 Crash
3 - 1.6
1 - 1.5

I have started putting two bowls of Phoenix worms in with them and it looks like the smaller guys are getting worms from one bowl while the bigger ones are busy at the other bowl...the weights are better this week.

Old 07-08-2007, 10:51 AM   #15
Mad4You2
6 Week weight updates

Hi Everyone,
So these guys have been hatched 1.5 months now. They are still eating Phoenix worms with pinhead crickets and we got hatching hornworms in Thursday, they are probably 1/16" in diameter now and 3/4 - 1" long and all 8 babies have had a least one of those. They really seem to like the hornworms - smack their lips and really zero in on them as soon as I offer then on my finger. I'm still having a hard time getting them on the ruler but from what I did see it appears they have gained about 1/4" in SVL.
2 - 2.0 grams
3 - 1.8 grams
1 - 1.9 grams - Crash
1 - 1.7 grams
1 - 1.6 grams

Thanks for looking - please respond with any input! Angie

Old 07-12-2007, 11:07 PM   #16
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

WOW those are so beautiful. I have not seen any baby pictures of baby mountain horned dragons before. How georgeous they are. It looks like they are doing very well too.
When will you put them up for sale? I would love to take one but just can't right now, no space. Plus, we are going to move in a few months too.

Tracie

Old 07-12-2007, 11:29 PM   #17
Mad4You2
Pretty Babies

Hi Tracie,

Thanks for writing! I've only had one reply to the post here and I'm really glad that you took the time to reply!

They are beautiful, aren't they? The babies have been so much fun for me. This is my first clutch....first eggs...first incubation...so I'm very excited that all 8 eggs hatched and the other 7 are getting so big...they look much bigger than the first clutch.

Ever since we got a WC pair of MHDs at a local reptile store I was captivated. I named them Pandora and Marius. They were seriously dehydrated when I brought them and they drank and drank and drank from the tap in the kitchen. They ate several crickets.

We went the next day to get a bigger enclosure for them and when we got home Marius was dead. Pandora lived for several weeks and some very large vet bills, then she died. She is the only WC that I have seen with all spikes and horns intact and she was a large adult. During all this I did a lot of research and information was difficult to find on MHDs. FroggieB has the most information on her web site.

I got involved on an MHD forum and studied up on them. After learning of the plight of the WC MHD and how many die in transport and then how many die in shops and when they go home because no one knew how to care for them properly I decided that I would breed them to help stop a bit of the WC trade. Then I got a CB pair that I had Petsmart order for me. The male died after a couple of weeks but I still have the female. We have since added two pair of WC and the current babies and the clutch that is incubating are from the first pair of WC that we got. These babies are CH but not CB. The second pair have mated and the female is gravid so they will be CB from WC parents.

I believe that I will keep this clutch to start my CB breeding program. I might sale or trade later but it had been suggested that they need to be 4 months before being shipped so I've got a while longer to think about it.

Thanks again for repsonding...I'm so excited about this wonderful lizard that I want to share the experience with everyone. These babies are so tame its amazing. They all come up to my hand when I put it in the cage and they all seem excited to see me. Most of the WC are a bit flighty but settle down well....I can't wait to see how responsive these guys will be to people when they get older.

Take care....Angie

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!