Enough is enough with the classifieds (*or* Why you cannot reply to classified ads) - Page 12 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:13 PM   #111
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focal X View Post
Yup, I'll do the same by adding the info. Crap, some people won't even reply to you in the thread when you ask a question and send you a PM when it's a question that would benifit everyone interested, i.e. what they are eating... but then again, I don't think I would want to deal with someone that won't update the ad anyway.

I see where this is a double-edged sword.
Most decision around here have been of that nature..... There is never a clear cut best way to do anything. Which means the determination of whether it was a good change or a bad change, needs to be made in retrospect. The alternative is to do nothing, which can also be a good move or a bad move sometimes.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:57 AM   #112
the gecko geek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riyeko View Post
My 2 cents:

I dont do much but window shop and ask for shipping quotes.
But for those out there that actually TRY to start things.. I think this is a good idea.
If im completley and utterly serious about trying to buy a snake, then so what if I have to click two more times to ask the seller about a shipping quote?
So?
Its not like its giving you carpal tunnel to just click the username and then "send private message to username".
Its not a big deal. So .. I guess im trying to say that I dont understand why everyone is freaking out in here about this.
Its Webslave's website, he runs this, he is king moderator, therefore if he doesnt want to take all day to put 10,000 infractions on 10,000 different people.. then he should come up with something that saves him time.
If that means not allowing people to post in the classifieds section, then so be it.

Its his site, so why is everyone screaming in rage in response to this?

I highlighted my main point of concern here. I don't mean any offense, just want to throw my POV out there..

It is Rich's site, so therefore he has the responsibility of taking care of it. Making sure everything is running as it should, people play nicely, and so on. By taking the whole replying to posts away from the biggest part of the users, it seems like the easy way out. Plain and simple, it really does. It makes it look like he just doesnt want to waste his time doing part of his job as head honcho of the website.

Take this situation out of fauna and into the real world...
The president runs the USA. Well if the president decided that it was only necessary for those in the military to buy any and all foods, what would happen???

I honestly think that the mods are just tired of doing their jobs...

I don't mean to offend anyone, but this is just how the situation pans out in my eyes.

This isn't the only way to fix this issue..they could just stick to their old methods and hand out infractions and warnings, but they don't want to because they are tired of doing that.

I think that we are going to see the same ads posted at least twice a day because so many people want their ads to be seen, and the only way to keep it on front page is to delete and repost, or hope that a paid member replies to it.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:34 AM   #113
bsharrah
Too funny.....

So tell us, how is it their "job" to be handing out warnings and infractions for replies made in a section that isn't meant for discussion? Do you think they are getting paid to do this? Think of it like this big park where there is an area for dogs and an area not meant for dogs. How would you feel if you volunteered everyday to clean up dog poop in this park and found yourself cleaning more of it in the area not meant for dogs? How would you feel when those in the park told you "well that's your job"? Wouldn't it make more sense to fence off the area not meant for dogs? I don't know about you, but most forums I am on do not allow discussion in the classified ads section and those that do seem to have more problems with it than anything.

I know you say you didn't mean to offend anyone, but I guarantee you did.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:04 AM   #114
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by the gecko geek View Post
It is Rich's site, so therefore he has the responsibility of taking care of it. Making sure everything is running as it should, people play nicely, and so on. By taking the whole replying to posts away from the biggest part of the users, it seems like the easy way out. Plain and simple, it really does. It makes it look like he just doesnt want to waste his time doing part of his job as head honcho of the website.
Quote:
BZZZZZZZZZ
Sorry, wrong answer.

Trying to pin this decision on the moderation team (as a whole, or in part) being "tired of doing their job" is just inaccurate. It does, however, bear repeating that we are VOLUNTEERS....we have jobs, lives, and animals to care for. Further, we are long term members of this site, and we have our own interests...or did you think we gave those things up? Moderating this site will take up every minute that we will give it - and we will still miss things.

I'll be the first to admit that I take mini vacations from moderating. I'll dedicate a visit solely to my own interests, and not look at anything for the purpose of moderation. Sometimes, I might take a couple days away (usually, though, I'm not even logging on during those periods). It took me a while to get to that point; but it is probably the best decision I've made since joining the team. That doesn't mean I'm tired of it - it means that I'm not willing to get burned out, or to let go of why I started participating on this site in the first place.

Rather than try to make up new reasons, try giving the explanations provided another read. It's not as if Rich made them up to placate the people he knew were going to be upset (which, btw, is not everybody...the topic of having the classifieds open to posts has always received mixed results. Leaving them open seemed like the right option based on a variety of factors).
Well, things happen and times change. No decision HAS to be forever, and that one ran its course. Rich has to look at things in terms of what is best for the site, and what he wants HIS SITE to be. If he feels that the posts contribute negatively toward his vision, then he can change bits and pieces to get things back on track.

Quote:
This isn't the only way to fix this issue..they could just stick to their old methods and hand out infractions and warnings, but they don't want to because they are tired of doing that
If the old way FIXED the issue, it would not have continued to get worse (despite the number of infractions and warnings being given).
Ever think that this decision might be partially related to Rich not wanting to see a substantial portion of the membership being systematically removed from the site because they continue to earn these infractions?

Quote:
Take this situation out of fauna and into the real world...
The president runs the USA. Well if the president decided that it was only necessary for those in the military to buy any and all foods, what would happen???
ROFLMAO.
Really?? You're going to compare the ability to post a comment in somebody's ad to the ability to acquire food??
That has got to be one of the most ridiculous arguments I've ever seen.

Quote:
I think that we are going to see the same ads posted at least twice a day because so many people want their ads to be seen, and the only way to keep it on front page is to delete and repost, or hope that a paid member replies to it.
And your point is what?
Who cares if people delete and repost their ads - that is generally looked at as marketing and product placement. What about the part where, by eliminating all the BS comments, ads in general won't be constantly repositioned, so people's ads won't drop down the page as quickly? Or doesn't real world stuff work unless it is outrageous and inane?

Old 06-08-2011, 07:15 AM   #115
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsharrah View Post
Too funny.....

So tell us, how is it their "job" to be handing out warnings and infractions for replies made in a section that isn't meant for discussion? Do you think they are getting paid to do this? Think of it like this big park where there is an area for dogs and an area not meant for dogs. How would you feel if you volunteered everyday to clean up dog poop in this park and found yourself cleaning more of it in the area not meant for dogs? How would you feel when those in the park told you "well that's your job"? Wouldn't it make more sense to fence off the area not meant for dogs? I don't know about you, but most forums I am on do not allow discussion in the classified ads section and those that do seem to have more problems with it than anything.

I know you say you didn't mean to offend anyone, but I guarantee you did.
Thank you, Bart.
That is actually a fantastic "real world" comparison!

Old 06-08-2011, 09:17 AM   #116
TheFragginDragon
Quote:
Actually...no.
I don't need to extrapolate further, Harald hit it on the head.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:46 AM   #117
the gecko geek
No matter what the "job" is, volunteer or not, its still something that needs to be done. If you don't have the time, why not just quit? Volunteer work is some of the hardest work there is, but the people that volunteer have a passion for it. Take the people that volunteer do The Red Cross. After a natural disaster there's always a Red Cross buffet line with people serving food all day. Sometimes they only have enough volunteers to have to work constantly the entire time. But its something they volunteered themselves to do.

And I've seen it thrown out there a lot that people haven't read all the rules and regulations and sticky threads in all the forums, so why not simply make it a mandatory reading that pops up THE SECOND YOUR ACCOUNT IS APPROVED. I will admit that I was one of the people that didnt read any of them. I got 1 infraction, said oops, my bad and didn't do it again.

I believe a lot of people signed up for this site because it is different than all the others out there. It gave you the ability to ask about a particular animal in an ad, and getting an answer from either the OP, or someone that wants to help out. Point is, a lot of people relied on being able to reply in an ad to get information. But what if someone is holding an auction? Now only paid members have the ability to bid?That doesn't seem fair. Some people can't afford to be a paid member.

I ride the fence on this decision. There's reasons that I like it, and reasons that I don't.
But no matter what I or anyone else thinks its not gonna reverse the decision made. And that's fine. No sweat off my back. Those that can't handle it will leave, others will stay, and others will cry and whine about it. I think Rich did what he had to do. I think that maybe sending out a pm to everyone letting us know what was going on would have been nice. That way we're not freaking out when we can't reply to a post. I think that was what did it for most people. That's what made them mad. People don't like when things are taken away from them. It's a proven fact. I think a little bit of warning would have been nice.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:51 AM   #118
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
I ride the fence on this decision. There's reasons that I like it, and reasons that I don't.
Yet, you came to the conclusion that Rich and the moderators simply don't want to do their job.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:58 AM   #119
hhmoore
Quote:
No matter what the "job" is, volunteer or not, its still something that needs to be done. If you don't have the time, why not just quit?
You're just bent on arguing, aren't you? Nobody said anything about not having time, or not doing what needs to be done. There was absolutely nothing in my agreement with Rich about me giving every waking moment to this site, either. I put in what time I can...and, some days, much more than I should. Why does that happen - because it needs to be done, because I care enough want it done, and because I like this site enough to not let it go.

Quote:
You could have fooled me - your last post, you were saying this was simply a matter of the moderators not wanting to do their jobs; and that we should have just kept giving infractions.

Quote:
I think that maybe sending out a pm to everyone letting us know what was going on would have been nice. That way we're not freaking out when we can't reply to a post. I think that was what did it for most people. That's what made them mad. People don't like when things are taken away from them. It's a proven fact. I think a little bit of warning would have been nice.
Again - you're showing that you don't pay attention. This has been discussed openly in this forum. It was stated that if things didn't improve, then the ability to post in the classifieds would be removed. Sometimes, leaving the classifieds to find out what is going on is in people's best interest....but, for those that don't, ANNOUNCEMENTS WERE PLACED AT THE TOP OF EVERY CLASSIFIEDS SECTION. Of course, they were totally ignored, hence the freaking out....but that is somehow our fault, too.
Go figure.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:02 AM   #120
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
Again - you're showing that you don't pay attention. This has been discussed openly in this forum. It was stated that if things didn't improve, then the ability to post in the classifieds would be removed. Sometimes, leaving the classifieds to find out what is going on is in people's best interest....but, for those that don't, ANNOUNCEMENTS WERE PLACED AT THE TOP OF EVERY CLASSIFIEDS SECTION. Of course, they were totally ignored, hence the freaking out....but that is somehow our fault, too.
Go figure.
For example:
Posted by WebSlave 5/24/11
And I would like to impress a point about this. If this continues to be a problem, the most efficient way that I can end this additional workload on my moderators is to simply disable ALL replies to classified ads on this site. http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...99&postcount=5

Posted by WebSlave 10-27-2010
Sorry, but I had hoped this would not become and issue that I would have to deal with, but it has, and I am. The most effective and easiest way would have been for me to simply stop ALL replies to all classified ads and be done with it. But I'm trying to come up with a compromise solution that will work better than that drastic alternative. If what I come up with still isn't workable and the mods have to constantly be after people doing manual bumps, then I WILL implement the above mentioned lockdown and be done with it. http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...1&postcount=46

I'm pretty sure there were other comments, including a couple made by me, but I simply don't have time to look for them....nor am I going to quit because of that.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!