Best Reptile Incubators - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Consumer Reports

Notices

Consumer Reports Looking for, or want to leave feedback about a product? This is the place for that sort of info!

Old 11-23-2007, 07:58 PM   #1
Serafim
Best Reptile Incubators

Hello all I have been searching all over the web for reptile incubators. Problem is there are so many to choose from. I would like some feedback on which ones are most popular or just the best overall incubator. I have been thinking about building one myself. I have all the tools and knowledge to build one but I am not sure if building one is really that cost effective. I have a small budget so I want the best for the best price. Thanks

Old 11-23-2007, 09:41 PM   #2
hhmoore
John,
Part of the decision is what you are using it for, and how much space you need. For about $40, you can buy a 100-120 qt cooler, add about $15 worth of heat tape and you're good to go...just plug it in to the thermostat of your choice. It isn't the most convenient orientation (too wide), but it is cheap, easy, and effective. I've been using one of those for years, and am inclined to just build another when/if I need more space. (something about the idea of not having all the eggs in one big incubator...just in case)

Old 11-23-2007, 09:44 PM   #3
Serafim
I will be using the incubator for ball python eggs. I have an older incubator but wanted something better. Your idea sounds very cost effective and a few additions and im in business. Thanks

Old 11-23-2007, 09:51 PM   #4
hhmoore
I removed the drain plug & ran the cord through there. It holds consistent temps (using a Herpstat), and I have not felt the need to add a fan for circulation. Certainly, one could build a nicer looking unit...but they couldn't just pull the cords out, replace the plug, and have a cooler for the beach, lol

Check one out, see if it is big enough to meet your needs. The commercially made options are pretty expensive.

Old 11-23-2007, 09:54 PM   #5
Serafim
LOL I spend a good amount of time at the beach so thats definitely a plus

Old 11-23-2007, 10:26 PM   #6
Mooing Tricycle
Nature Spirits are supposed to be awesome incubators Check em out too

Old 11-23-2007, 10:30 PM   #7
Serafim
Actually I just emailed Casey about his incubators. For the price they look well made and have 2 options for proportional stats instead of offering only one..

Old 11-24-2007, 01:42 AM   #8
shrap
Converting an old fridge/freezer or soda cooler works great too. Here is a pic of my little bator.

I also have a full sized fridge already converted and just got a chest freezer for $20 out of the local paper that I will be converting sometime in the next few months.

Clay Davenport has a nice tutorial on his site for converting a fridge/freezer.

http://www.arbreptiles.com/cages/incubator.shtml

Old 11-24-2007, 11:46 AM   #9
deborahbroadus
Before I invested in the Ivey incubator, I was using an aquarium (we always have a lot of those) I used a 20 gallon aquarium with two large UTHs on the bottom hooked to a thermosat and two bags of hatchrite to keep the eggs stable.

Simple, effective and it kept perfect temps and high humidity with the plexiglass top. I covered the whole thing with a towel to keep it in darkness

Sorry for the crappy pic. .but if you strain your eyes a bit, you will see that the temps are 90 and the humdity is 83. Inside the humidity killed the thermometer.

p.s. by the way..both of these fugly eggs hatched later. One hatched twins that didn't survive, the other is still alive and doing very well.

Old 11-24-2007, 09:38 PM   #10
Lene
Why don't you try using a cooler with a few inches of water and a aquarium heater with a wire rack above the water level to set the trays on ? you will have a constant temperature and good humidity levels. a 100 or 150 watt heater would be required. the best part it is inexpensive to set up and to operate.---------Len

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!