I-n-d-i-g-o - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Classifieds > Snakes For Sale/Wanteds > Hognose, Garter, Water & Ribbon Snakes

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 02:02 PM   #1
LISerpent
Stop! I-n-d-i-g-o

Hello,

I have a beautiful yearling FEMALE Eastern Indigo for sale. The ONLY reason I am letting this beautiful snake go is because I found out I need a special permit just to keep her in NY. Since I refuse to give NY State the satisfaction of taking my money for a moronic permit she is up for grabs.

She is eating, f/k f/t mice, rat pups and even Salmon strips on occasion.

At first I only wanted to sell her locally, but due to lack of interest in my area I am willing to ship.

Make me an offer and e-mail me with any questions at serpentinedreams@netzero.com

Thank You,

Drew
  Contact User Check User
Old 10-07-2004, 02:12 PM   #2
Mister Internet
How on earth did you acquire one without knowing about the permits? Most states that I know of require at least an in-state endangered species permit, and a federal interstate commerce permit if you're buying from an out of state breeder. Any reputable breeder I've ever heard of would require proof of the permit before turning the animal over to you...

Pardon my skepticism, but the reason you give for wanting to get rid of her is really, really lame for a snake of this caliber. It sounds like you caught one on a trip down South, and now are trying to get rid of it for fear of getting in trouble with the authorities.

Old 10-07-2004, 02:58 PM   #3
Rebecca E
Indigo

How much are you asking for such a nice snake?
Rebecca age 11
Snakebabies2005@yahoo.com

Old 10-07-2004, 03:01 PM   #4
SPJ
The permit is only $25 for an indigo.
Who sold you one of these without requiring the permit in the first place? I have NEVER seen one for sale where the seller did not require the permit BEFORE the sale.

Old 10-07-2004, 03:20 PM   #5
LISerpent
Stop! reply to "Mr Internet"

First of all when purchasing the Indigo I had aquired my federal permit but was not aware that I needed a special for NY State and that was the honest truth.

Second of all dont come on here and accuse me of taking a snake out of the wild when you have no idea what your talking about or any proof to back up your statement.

If you wanna discuss this further e-mail me directly instead of posting unfounded and unproven accusations.

Thank You,

Andrew Serpent

serpentinedreams@netzero.com
  Contact User Check User
Old 10-07-2004, 03:45 PM   #6
Mister Internet
Quote:
Originally posted by Mister Internet
It sounds like you caught one on a trip down South, and now are trying to get rid of it for fear of getting in trouble with the authorities.
Please re-read my post. I never accused you of anything... I merely told you what your ad SOUNDED like. That is why I said "it sounds like..." . Jeesh.

The fact remains that pretty much anyone who knows anything about acquiring Indigos legally is going to be a bit incredulous as to how you knew to get a Federal permit, but did not know about the state one? I didn't mean to come down on you, but no one here that really appreciates Indigos is going to understand why you ponied up money for the $25 Federal permit, and then the state permit was the clincher? I have my Endangered permit here in IL, and it was free... how much does the NY one cost?

Gotta echo SPJ on this as well... how on earth did you come to own one in NY if you didn't not already have the permits you needed? Who did you buy it from?

Old 10-07-2004, 04:26 PM   #7
LISerpent
Stop! Tom...

I understand your concern, but my issue was the fact you even suggested something like that with no facts to even back such a claim.

I am guilty of not knowing my local laws, I assumed all I needed was the federal permit. That is totally my fault.

Of course besides the permit situation I do need some cash right now since I am out of work.

As far as where I purchased her, that info will be provided to the buyer of the snake upon purchase.

Thank You,

Andrew Serpent
  Contact User Check User
Old 10-07-2004, 05:40 PM   #8
SPJ
I think only 4 of the states require an additional state permit besides the federal one. The person who sold it may not have known that NY was one of the states that needed the additional permit.
Indigos are awesome. You should keep it as a display animal.
I would offer to buy it but I don't know if I legally could since you basically don't own it illegally and your name would have to be on the federal form for any out of state purchases.
It is going to be VERY hard to sell this animal.

Old 10-07-2004, 07:07 PM   #9
Mister Internet
Quote:
Originally posted by SPJ
I think only 4 of the states require an additional state permit....
I think the number might be higher than that... the fact that they are on the Federal Endangered Species list would mean that states would have to consider them endangered as well, and I would think that a state that allows you to keep endangered species would require a permit of some type. I will double check on that though. Ah well... my speculation still stands: I've never heard of the state permit costing money. The fact that he used that as the driver behind the sale is what set off my radar.

Quote:
Originally posted by SPJ
It is going to be VERY hard to sell this animal.
It sure is... seeing as how yearling indigos routinely go for $800+, I'm failing to see why you wouldn't just pay the money for the permit and THEN sell her, making everything legal.

Of course, just when you get me thinking this doesn't sound so fishy after all:

Quote:
Originally posted by LISerpent As far as where I purchased her, that info will be provided to the buyer of the snake upon purchase.
"upon purchase"? Yeah, that would seal the deal for me right there. As soon as some refuses to tell me where they purchased it until you GIVE THEM MONEY, I will show myself to the door. Face it, with the legal nature of Indigo procurement and ownership, people should (at least the responsible ones) check out where a snake like this came from. Are you saying that you will basically refuse to reveal who you purchased it from until they give you the full purchase price?

Old 10-07-2004, 07:20 PM   #10
SPJ
Quote:
It is illegal to keep/breed Eastern Indigos in Virginia, South Carolina, Florida, Georgia, Alabama, New Jersey, New York & Mississippi without a special permit. Some of the permits are difficult to obtain due to either requirements of the permit, or bureaucratic delays.
So far, these are the only states that we "know" will not allow the keeping/breeding of the Eastern Indigo without a special state issued permit.
You're right. It is 8 states that require seperate permits.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread