Pacman Frog Sick??? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 10-02-2005, 08:18 PM   #1
Gonzalez2293
Pacman Frog Sick???

I have a pacman frog which i bought about 2 weeks ago and it looks strange
it has a ball or something hanging out of its mouth its alive but hardly moves
please help!!!

Old 10-02-2005, 09:25 PM   #2
hhmoore
how big is the frog? how are you housing it (be specific. include type of container, size, substrate, temps)? have you fed it? What color is the thing hanging out of its mouth? If possible, post a pic.

Old 10-02-2005, 09:44 PM   #3
Gonzalez2293
Talking Pacman Frog Sick???

Well its about the size of a tennis ball.
the thing hanging out of his mouth is like a seethrough purple.
I maintain the temperature at 80 to 70 degrees during the day and drops to about 60 degrees during night.
I Keep it in a 10 gallon tank with coconut fiber as the substrate.
i also put moss to maintain humidity.
i have fed it crickets but it does not want to eat.
i also a have a dish so it can swim in but has not got in.
My camera is not working but will try to post a pic.
Write Back
Thanks

Old 10-02-2005, 10:10 PM   #4
hhmoore
how long has this thing been sticking out? it is hard to give anything other than guesses without seeing the frog, or at least some good pictures. ASSuming that it is, in fact, part of the frog - the next question would be where is it attached? My guess would be that the tongue is infected and swollen to the point that he can't control it. But again, that is shooting blind with minimal information. Any chance he got some of the coconut fiber in his mouth? Has it eaten at all in the time you've had it? Did you get it from a local shop, a show, or shipped?

Old 10-02-2005, 10:26 PM   #5
Gonzalez2293
Pacman Frog Sick???

Its been sticking out for 3 days and i doubt it's ate some because i personaly removed all the large pieces of coconut fiber.I got the substrate at the local pet store for 5 dollars .I think it is the tongue because it is sticking out of its mouth . Do you know how to cure swelling in the tongue if so write back.
Thanks

Old 10-02-2005, 10:29 PM   #6
Gonzalez2293

Sorry forgot to add that it has eaten but right after it got that swelling or whatever it is stopped eating. I seen the frog try to open its mouth but it can't.

Old 10-05-2005, 11:14 PM   #7
Gonzalez2293

Well i learned its not its tongue but its stomach.

Old 10-05-2005, 11:49 PM   #8
Wilomn
How did you discover that it was the stomache?

Old 10-06-2005, 12:27 AM   #9
hhmoore
well that's not a good thing...he really needs to swallow that again - it isn't supposed to be hanging out. On a serious note: I hate to say it, but if it really is the stomach (and it has been hanging out for 3 days)...it's time to start looking for a new frog.

Old 10-06-2005, 09:55 AM   #10
Rebel Dragons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilomn
How did you discover that it was the stomache?
I posted this on another thread he created for this same problem.

I am 99.9% sure that the tongue is not swollen. What happen is that your frog prolapsed it's stomach.

I have seen this happen twice and you have to act quickly or your frog will chew on it's stomach until it kills itself. Even though it is it's own stomach, all the frog thinks is that it is food.

You will need to bring it to a vet that is experienced handling frogs. The stomach will have to be pushed back into place using your fingers.
Or you can do it yourself, if you feel comfortable enough to try. It easily goes back into place once all if it is back down it's gullet. It's possible that it will prolapse again shortly after but you just have to push it back into place until it stays. Be sure to wear gloves while doing it. The frog WILL chew on you while your doing it and it HURTS. Depending on your frogs size it can break the skin. If successful in getting it back in place wait at least 2 weeks before feeding it again and only feed it a pinky. From there work your way up back to it's appropriately sized food items.

And just so you know. Pacman frogs will prolapse their stomachs while regurgitating food items that were to big for it. If it is a large frog that is eating adult mice or rat pups be sure to crush the skulls. They have a hard time breaking them down if they are not crushed..

I hope that helps???

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!