Tokay Gecko as pet? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-14-2003, 04:29 PM   #1
debsreprescue
Question Tokay Gecko as pet?

Can anyone out there tell me if a Tokay would make a good pet? I've heard that they're nippy, but would like to hear from someone who has "hands on" experience. Where can I find good info. on husbandry, etc for them? Also...Where can I find a reputable breeder?

Old 12-14-2003, 11:27 PM   #2
herpspaz
tokays are good pets if you intend on setting up a nice tank for them and watching them. they are quite aggressive and can draw blood from their bite.

if you're still interested and want more info, sean mckeown and jim zaworksi have a book called "General Care and Maintenence of Tokay Geckos" which is pretty good.

or you can always just type in "tokay gecko", "tokay care" etc, in google search and you should get tons of info.

-Karin

Old 12-20-2003, 04:52 AM   #3
aimee_s
tokays

most people i know say that tokays will tend to bite you, even if you're just trying to clean their tanks but, i do know someone whose tokays are pretty hand tamed. he said it takes a really long time, but if you're patient - it might happen! they're usually aggressive. i saw a picture of a bite he had, which did draw blood. and as herpspaz said, you might want to search "tokay gecko care sheet" on google, and you'll find a bunch of links! take care & gl!

[aimEe]

Old 12-20-2003, 12:31 PM   #4
debsreprescue
Thanks you guys... I did go to Google and found lots of info. Also ordered several books about them. Arrived yesterday and have already read 2 of them. It does say the same thing that you said, Aimee, that they can be handled but takes alot of patience. I think I'm going to hold off on getting one for now, just got a couple more reptiles so my reptile room is full (I have a reptile rescue). If I end up getting one in the near future I'll post here again and let you know how it's going with his taming.

Debbie

Old 07-01-2004, 11:57 PM   #5
6chickenlane
Question

i like lizards that i can take out of their tank and hold,so should i get a tokay gecko?i know that they bite,but would it let me hold it after it got used to me?

Old 07-02-2004, 09:05 PM   #6
Road Warrior
I've kept and bred Tokays for some time now, I also handle them regulary. If your looking for a gecko to handle I wouldnt recommend a Tokay. It takes alot of time and patience and even then there is no quarantee they will tolerate you. They are my favorite gecko and if I only kept one kind of gecko it would be Tokays. They are awsome geckos but must be kept in very large tanks to keep them happy. If you even want to think about working with one as far as handling be sure you get a young CB to even have a chance of doing so.

Old 08-07-2004, 10:45 PM   #7
6chickenlane
never mind

never mind.i looked em up on the internet.changed my mind.dont want one anymore.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!