Curious about Boa! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-04-2008, 12:58 AM   #1
Bella17
Curious about Boa!

So I am purchasing a 5 foot red tail from BHB, I am starting a small side business of taking snakes and a few assorted animals/other reptiles to birthday parties and such. I wanted a "wow" factor snake other then my fairly small carpets(under 3.5ft) and my balls. I would love to get a albino burm, but I know that after it hits about 10 foot, id have a hard time keeping it around let alone taking it to parties, So I didn't want to get a snake to plan on selling as a fall back. Id like to keep the snake until it dies. These snakes are more like pets to me then products for a business which I am sure all of you feel very similar..maybe? lol.. but the question I have is, How do you like your Boas? Are they all around friendly, or all dependant on how it is raised? are they mellowed out snakes? or snippy like my carpets currently are? Of course my carpets are all under a year of age, so I know it will eventually measure out.. BUt what do you think about Boas as pets/ working animals? Safe? or more unpredictable? Brian raised this one from a baby and said he'd let me take her real cheap to help me get my business going as somewhat of a gift! So I can't wait to see her and see the temperment. She is about 5 foot.. so let me know what you guys think and feel about boas! I wanna hear good and bad so I know what to plan for and expect to work with.

Thanks alot,
Michelle

Old 04-04-2008, 06:26 PM   #2
Randall Turner
I think Boas are definitely the best snakes to have and work with. I have a few that are extremely mellow and laid back, I also have a few that are tempermental and nippy (including one that I wonder if it is touched in the head with its bite first find out what it's biting second behavior, including biting herself).

Overall I've had many more relaxed and mellow animals then nippy ones. Handling will effect how the animals temperment is also in most instances.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:16 PM   #3
crotalusadamanteus
Just to add to what Randy said, I think early imprinting occurs when being handled, and has a life long effect on them. The ones I've had that came to me as young adults or older have always been flighty, nervous, or somewhat aggressive about it.

All the ones I've had since they were neos, grew to be calm and accepting to handling. My large albino female Aurora LOVES (apparently) to be handled. I can get her to coil in my lap and just sit there.

I'm even getting this little chainsaw Honduran girl to settle down and not try and eat me all the time. (Notice she leaves herself plenty of room to strike if she should take offense to something I'm doing. )

Point is, even the little biters, if handled properly when young, can overcome their bitiness, and become pretty calm snakes as adults.

Always keep in mind though, that Boas are not tame, and very instinctive. They are ALL capable of biting, so awareness is a must when handling. But mostly, it's not a problem Boas tend to have if raised properly.

Ain't a better animal alive BTW. I've had them since 1975.

Old 04-05-2008, 01:05 AM   #4
Bella17
Thank you very much for the responses! I was worried no one would give me any input! I've owned snakes all my life, garters, and ribbon, and then to balls and Now more recently, Carpets. Carpets have been the most fiesty in my opinion, and I know handeling helps alot to tame, I have bit plenty of times by my carpets and several baby balls to know what the consequence is haha. But like I said, I've never delt with Boas. My only worry is that this RTB that I am getting is 5 foot, and older obviously.. I told Brian(BHB) that I needed a puppy dog tame "wow" factor snake.. so I highly highly highly doubt he would steer me wrong and give me something that is to edgy.. Brian and I are on pretty good terms and I visit his shop several times a year to get stuff, he even asked/let me be in his latest snakebytes video! or.. well the one about women and reptiles lol. But all in all I was just curious on the general temperment, and how easily they tame. I do expect to be bitten, but id like to work it out sooner then before I take it to show some little kids! Ill need insurance, but id rather not have to activley use it at all haha
Once again, thank you for the info, helps me to reasure myself on this purchase!

Michelle

Old 04-05-2008, 01:06 AM   #5
Bella17
and btw, Richard your snake is gorgeous! I LOVE LOVE LOVE it

Michelle

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!