Okay, someone help me make sense... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-27-2004, 10:08 PM   #1
LCReptiles
Okay, someone help me make sense...

I am having a hard time understanding.. I took Sunni to the vet last week. I was told she had an infection in the roof of her mouth. She was given a shot with Baytril. After a week with not much improvement I took her back 2 days ago. Another shot of Baytril and I was told to bring her in every 3 days for a series. Then tonight she's dead... I don't understand this. Why couldn't the vet tell she wasn't going to respond to treatment? I kind of feel let down...

Old 08-27-2004, 10:19 PM   #2
Xelda
Jeff, man I'm sorry. That's got to be quite a shock.

Maybe the abscess was cancerous and had reached her brain. Did your vet actually take a sample and culture it to determine it was bacterial?

From my experience with vets, the best ones don't go by a booklearned diagnosis-treatment regimen. That's just so linear. Rather, they try to come up with all the different possibilities and leave the choice of treatment to you.

Old 08-27-2004, 10:22 PM   #3
LCReptiles
Well this vet comes recommended by everyone in my area to see for lizards. He just expunged the gunk from the wound and gave her the antibiotics. He has done that both times. This last time he also dewormed her since I said she hadn't resumed eating..

Old 08-27-2004, 10:23 PM   #4
Storm55
Sorry

Jeff,

I'm sorry for your loss.

-Jackie

Old 08-27-2004, 10:35 PM   #5
Xelda
Jeff, okay I've gone through two bad vets but both were recommended to me by other people as well. Forget that crap and just go with your gut instincts. You deserve an explanation.

This vet already sounds kind of sketchy. Treating for an infection without a culture and deworming without fecal analysis. There could be a million other reasons for lack of appetite.

Old 08-27-2004, 10:39 PM   #6
LCReptiles
Well, I've been through 2 vets, I'm kind of stumped on where to look now.. there aren't not that many in the area. *sigh*

Old 08-27-2004, 11:45 PM   #7
E2MacPets
Man talk about a rough week

Old 08-27-2004, 11:49 PM   #8
Golden Gate Geckos
Oh No....

Gee, Jeff.. that's awful! I am so sorry - you have been through enough trauma lately to have to deal with this...

Sometimes when they get an abcess in their mouths like that, it is from a cricket leg. It works kind of like a foxtail in a dog's ear or nose because it is barbed, and only travels one way. The only thing I could think of (IF that is what has happened) is that it worked it's way too far into her tissues.

Old 08-28-2004, 12:47 AM   #9
Sarah H
Jeff, sorry for your loss.

How far are you from the northern VA area?
I found a great vet in the area, has acually impressed me w/his reptile knowledge and even breeds a few species as well.
And the best plus is he will do fecals without an exam which is a great plus when you have alot of animals.

Old 08-28-2004, 01:12 AM   #10
riverjop
what a drag!....sorry to here that...sometimes it makes you wonder if you know more about the animal than the vet?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!