Sugar Gliders: Legalities, Licensing & Regulations - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-14-2006, 02:12 AM   #1
PaulSage
Sugar Gliders: Legalities, Licensing & Regulations

I was just wondering if anyone else has run into legal issues related to keeping sugar gliders. Back when the monkey pox thing started, the city of Madison (where I live) made them and a ton of other relatively harmless animals illegal. At first, we were told that it was a USDA regulation, but I couldn't find squat on the USDA's website about sugar gliders or any other small mammal for that matter.

I've personally never kept one, but I used to take care of the breeding pairs that we had at the store. We ended up having to give them away, which really stunk. To my knowledge, the city has not changed their stance on them at all. So I was also wondering if anyone has/had heard of any instances where diseases such as monkey pox were passed from sugar gliders on to humans.

Oh yeah, chinchillas, hedgehogs, Egyptian spiny mice, doormice (those are really cool), pygmy mice, degu's, duprasi's, jirds, zebra mice, and a few others that I can't think of were outlawed here too.