Chameleons in Florida - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:49 AM   #1
rhodysailor
Chameleons in Florida

I hear that there is possibly two populations of two chameleon species that have been introduced and established in Tampa FL. Has anybody else heard this or checked it out?

Old 05-06-2011, 12:09 PM   #2
JColt
Not sure about Tampa but I know there's a couple species living in the everglades. Lot's of non native thru out Fl, so I wouldn't rule it out.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:52 PM   #3
bigalosu
I live in MB and have seen them in North Shore Open Space Park before. I've only seen one, so it could have been a recent release or it could be a small population. You seen lots of invasives/exotics down here.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:31 PM   #4
PICHISPYTHONS
I hear they are by new port richie...

Old 11-19-2011, 09:29 PM   #5
Varanis
The only ones I know of were near Fort Myers and they were Veileds, Last I heard the freeze a couple years appears to have wiped them out though?

Old 11-21-2011, 03:35 AM   #6
trimbler
When I lived in Saint Petersburg I found a pygmy in my neighbor's orange tree. Think it was a pygmy but it was over 10 years ago.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:55 AM   #7
Hybridbird
There was at least one established colony on a property on the east side of Ft. Myers, that used to be home to a reptile shop many years ago. Apparently they had veileds and they were kept in an outdoor enclosure that was broken into one night and left open by the perpetrators and there were many escapees. I don't know any of this first hand but, this is what I remember being told by a long standing member of the local herp society that did have first hand knowledge. There may also be something to the story that says they were killed off by the cold, I don't know for sure, but it certainly seems possible.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:48 AM   #8
1995sportster883
I've heard a lot about veileds in Fort Myers but never any specific location. I wish I did know a specific location considering Fort Myers is only 40mins away from me I'd be out there in an instant to check out these invasive veileds.

Old 09-21-2014, 04:19 AM   #9
gila7150
Quote:
There was at least one established colony on a property on the east side of Ft. Myers, that used to be home to a reptile shop many years ago.
Glades Herp, maybe?

I remember in the early to mid 90's there used to be a ridiculous amount of exotics in Hallandale Beach surrounding Strictly Reptiles. I drove down there one day and saw a large, male plumed basilisk sitting on the menu board in the Burger King drive thru. The same day I saw a fresh DOR adult leopard tortoise on Hallandale Beach Blvd. Later that same year my friend found a prehensile tailed skink in a overgrown vacant lot a few blocks from Strictly Reptiles. That's when you could still buy imported prehensile tailed skinks for about $75.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:09 PM   #10
smwboxer
I've come across several veileds, adults and juveniles, in my backyard in Fort Lauderdale.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!