Least favorite venomous snake? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

View Poll Results: Which snake gave you the most trouble?
A cobra species (Naja, Ophiophagus, Walternnesia, etc) 8 10.96%
A mamba species (Dendroaspis) 23 31.51%
Another elapid species 1 1.37%
North American crotalid (Crotalus, Sistrurus, Agkistrodon) 10 13.70%
A large terrestrial viper (Bitis, Bothrops, Lachesis) 5 6.85%
An arboreal viper (Atheris, Trimeresusus, Tropidolaemus) 4 5.48%
A rear fanged colubrid (Dispholidus, Thelotornis, Boiga, etc) 5 6.85%
A completely nonvenomous snake 17 23.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-28-2005, 10:26 PM   #1
snakegetters
Least favorite venomous snake?

Of all the venomous snakes you've ever kept or handled or worked with, which one was the biggest pain in the butt? Share your stories here.

Old 01-29-2005, 10:47 AM   #2
old guy
Forest cobras

( Black Forest > Pseudohaje species ? ) due to the uncertainty of how to keep ( in the early days ). Didn't really know the humidity requirements. Tried several differences but the they consistently had probs with shedding. Had some fungal infections with what must of been to much humidity. BUT with the higher moisture, had no problem with shedding. So with trying to keep the humidity down i came up with more shedding problems again. It was stated that they ate frogs but had no problems with mice. I found out later that it was a matter of maybe not having a large enough container of water in cage for them to soak in and a dryer cage. Oh well, a reptile exhibit owned by Max Allen got them eventually and with a larger exhibit cage, they seemed to have done fine after that. These came from Mr. Leaky of Africa.

Old 01-29-2005, 10:57 AM   #3
hhmoore
depends on how you mean pain in the butt. one of my cobras ( a male banded egyptian) was always set on making me dead. other than that, though, he wasn't bad to work with. My favorite puff adder, used to manage to get substrate in his mouth whenever I had him offsite for display (always used newspaper at home, but it just isn't "pretty" enough for public viewing). the day after I got him home, I would have to pull him out and clean out his mouth, swab it down, and occasionally do follow up treatment for early mouthrot (he was very sensitive to any foreign stuff in his mouth). that happened whether he was on display for 2 hours or a week. Trying to force feed neonate waglers pinky strips because I couldn't find anything small enough that they would take??? That was a pin in the butt, I think it wins for me...even though once they were big enough to take a whole pink they were easy.

Old 01-29-2005, 01:51 PM   #4
snakegetters
Pain in the butt means exactly that - either handling or husbandry.

Old 01-31-2005, 07:36 PM   #5
Mustangrde1
Satan my egyptian cobra " Naja haje " plain and simple he wants to kill you. charges mouth open and ready to bite. always an experiance when having ot deal with his cage.

Otherwise i love all hots cant have enough.

Old 02-01-2005, 01:15 AM   #6
snakegetters
I have a bad boy like that, only he's 12'. Kings are good fun.

I still think the worst times I've had were courtesy of nonvenomous species. Reticulated pythons can be horrible, and they are bigger and stronger than me. My king is very naughty, but he weighs only 3-something kilograms and cobras are neither particularly fast nor particularly strong. Retics can be both, and I do not like working with them.

I also think that Asian rat snakes are the devil incarnate. I would much rather play with mambas than with those buggers.

Old 02-01-2005, 10:11 PM   #7
JDSReptilesINC
I think my craziest snake would be my Canebrake Rattlesnake(Crotalus h. Atricaudatus). He is also appropiately named Satan. This snake strikes out of his hide box, never stops buzzing, and once even sprayed some venom after his strike hit the bin. You think he would be a little more caring since I did save him from a bubba fixing to run him over in Osceola Natl forest.

Old 03-22-2005, 04:31 PM   #8
SerpenXotics
Egyptian cobras

I think of all the venomous snakes I have worked with and been around for the worst to handle even to use a shift box correctly would be the egyptian cobras I have owned 3 so far and they are all things of the past I had to sell them simply because they are far more aggressive than even the mambas I have kept in the past I had one egyptian (she now resides at sean palmers cobra gardens) well over 7' she was by far nasty but didn't even compare to the pair of imports I recieved shortly after the male from the pair wouldent even attempt to hood he would just lash out as soon as you enterd the hot room he would strike constantly mouth agape and wide eyed I tryed to use a shift box with him but he would go in to the box when you left the room but as soon as he felt your presence he would flood right out of it LOL makeing it hard to keep him in when I would have to handle him (cage cleaning and water changing ect) he acted like a complete maniac I named him leroy don't remember why but I do remember always saying "LEROY GET BACK IN YOUR CAGE" in somewhat of a country dielect he would never go back in very easily but always came right out after you LOL fun times
Great poll tanith
Joe Lesh

Old 04-04-2005, 02:12 PM   #9
psilocybe
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerpenXotics
I think of all the venomous snakes I have worked with and been around for the worst to handle even to use a shift box correctly would be the egyptian cobras I have owned 3 so far and they are all things of the past I had to sell them simply because they are far more aggressive than even the mambas I have kept in the past I had one egyptian (she now resides at sean palmers cobra gardens) well over 7' she was by far nasty but didn't even compare to the pair of imports I recieved shortly after the male from the pair wouldent even attempt to hood he would just lash out as soon as you enterd the hot room he would strike constantly mouth agape and wide eyed I tryed to use a shift box with him but he would go in to the box when you left the room but as soon as he felt your presence he would flood right out of it LOL makeing it hard to keep him in when I would have to handle him (cage cleaning and water changing ect) he acted like a complete maniac I named him leroy don't remember why but I do remember always saying "LEROY GET BACK IN YOUR CAGE" in somewhat of a country dielect he would never go back in very easily but always came right out after you LOL fun times
Great poll tanith
Joe Lesh

This has to be the longest run on sentence I have ever seen, LOL...

Old 04-04-2005, 04:54 PM   #10
SerpenXotics
sorry i type like a 12 year old LOL

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!