Never sell a beardie on craigs list - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-23-2010, 01:07 AM   #1
Terrk
Never sell a beardie on craigs list

So I am clearing out some bearded dragons and cages, and I have this beautiful orange beardie. I posted on here, and my wife was like "hey, post him on Craigs list too! I was offering a 55 gallon tank, the beardie, a colony of Dubai roaches, a set of lights, an automatic timer, and his dishes, hammock and squirt bottle, I was asking $150 dollars for all of this... Here is an email I get....

Random crazy chick:
"Do you still have the beardie?"

Me:
"Yes, I do, I would like to get $150 for all of it"

Random Crazy Chick:
"I can't give that much for it. If you still need to get rid of it in the future and you can't sell it for that price shoot me an email. "

Me:
"What can you?" (trying to work with her)

Random Crazy Chick:
"i was hoping it really needed a home and wasn't being sold. I could do $25."

Me:
"He is not being sold, bearded dragons are not cheap!"

Random Crazy Chick:
"yeah actually they are. I have 9 of them I got them all for $30 each from petsmart. you are charging at or above pet store prices....a cage, beardie, food and crickets +uvb lights and UVA and heat lamps is only $134 I know because i just bought one DUMB ASS."

Old 05-23-2010, 01:13 AM   #2
foz223
i had a similar reaction today trying to sell a pastel female bp on craigslist. some 14 year old kid couldnt afford it and starting to use profanity because he thought i was trying to rip him off. like he knew everything about snakes and their morphs that there was to know. haha they should be embarrassed.

Old 05-23-2010, 01:23 AM   #3
bliss
Maybe you should introduce them to fauna, and tell them to do a little research before they say something isn't worth what you are asking.

Wait - NO. Don't do that, do NOT introduce them to fauna... let sleeping idiots lie.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:41 AM   #4
john_ny217
actually everyone on craigslist wants everything for FREE or damn near free. I have come across so many cheap people that I do not even use craigslist anymore.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:50 AM   #5
akaangela
I know I most likely will get hated for this but I have a beef with people selling on craigslist. You are SELLING, not adopting out. There is a difference. If you want to sell your animals don't put them on a place that specifically says it is just for adoptions.
I am not saying your animals are not worth it. Most likely they are. They are most likely far better than what you would find at a pet store. Stick to adds in the paper, fauna, and other places where people are looking to BUY.
People get trashed for selling dogs, cats and stuff in the pet section why should people selling reptiles be any different? It is NOT a place to SELL!!!!

Old 05-23-2010, 09:59 AM   #6
Terrk
I don't consider $600 dollars worth of stuff for $150 dollars selling. But I get your point.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:15 AM   #7
dragonluver83
TERRk,
Dont sell on craigslist. for a good start. but even at that there's gonna be cheap people everywhere. On the C.L. here on fauna, kingsnake. theres always so low ball idiot that doesnt know what there dealing with. an in cases like that your better off not selling to under educated ppl like her. Cause most of the time it can come back to bite you in your butt!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bliss View Post
Wait - NO. Don't do that, do NOT introduce them to fauna... let sleeping idiots lie.
GOD there is enough re-re's around here dont introduce anymore to this site!
Just playin, this site can take a re-re and educate them. Why sites like this are helpful!
Quote:
Originally Posted by akaangela View Post
I know I most likely will get hated for this but I have a beef with people selling on craigslist. You are SELLING, not adopting out. There is a difference. If you want to sell your animals don't put them on a place that specifically says it is just for adoptions.
I am not saying your animals are not worth it. Most likely they are. They are most likely far better than what you would find at a pet store. Stick to adds in the paper, fauna, and other places where people are looking to BUY.
People get trashed for selling dogs, cats and stuff in the pet section why should people selling reptiles be any different? It is NOT a place to SELL!!!!
Its just another sales tatic, that has proven out to be quite well for most. No reason to put a trans leather on c.l. but some normals, reds, yellows that your kicking out for 30 40 bucks. But i dont agree with what you said at all.Who cares if your adopting or selling? i can sell a sandfire on there for 30 bucks or sell it on fauna for 30 bucks and then have to ship! so after paypal and shipping materials how much do i make now? 18 bucks?who cares if i type "rehoming fee" or "for sale". WHO CARES? Someone gets a nice dragon and the seller gets rid of it. The easy way. Everyone is happy. Except the ones complaining.
I guess if you dont like ppl selling dragon on c.l. stop reading it if it bothers you that bad... but it works for the little guys who want local buss.

P.s. not hating you for your post. BUT i dont think that your looking at all aspects. Try to find the good in something negative, can make you a positive person.

Lol, look whose talking

Old 05-23-2010, 12:02 PM   #8
bliss
Tom, I agree with your post, there one thing I would consider though;

How educated are the buyers on something like, craiglist, vs. something like, fauna? You see, I've thought about this because soon I will begin my first dragon breedings, and I've thought "well, i can take many of them to the trading lot/flea market in my area and set up and sell some of them", but something tells me that many folks who would come there and buy a dragon would have it for a couple months and then the wow factor would be gone, and then they'd either neglect its care or try to pawn it off on someone else. Or, then again, they could end up being really good keepers. I dunno, It's just something that passed through my mind..

Old 05-23-2010, 12:36 PM   #9
dragonluver83
Quote:
Originally Posted by bliss View Post
Tom, I agree with your post, there one thing I would consider though;

How educated are the buyers on something like, craiglist, vs. something like, fauna?
There are probly just as educated as the ppl going to the pet store buying your dragons at 70-80 bucks. when you sold them at 25 or 30.
There also probly just as educated as the ppl that buy your dragons at a reptile show for there 8 year old kid.
As they say "knowledge is power". Properly inform your customer on there care and be there to walk them through any problems. And you'll be amazed at what others can do once they know.

I had a customer buy a baby Silkback for there very first dragon. (Think i wasnt alittle nervious?) I provided them with every thing i knew tips and tricks. EVERYTHING. That customer contacted by text message to tell me his FEMALE silkback bred for her first time and layed 28 healthy eggs.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:55 PM   #10
john_ny217
Yeah craigslist says NO SELLING, but 99% of the ads in there are people selling their animals. Just because the ad is labeled as "REHOMING" does not mean that they are not selling it. I do agree that you really shouldnt put a trans leather or something on there and expect to get what its worth, because most of that community is not going to even know what that means. But like Tom said, selling (or "rehoming" lol) some nice red crosses or something like that has no real harm.

Just seems like everyone on craigslist expects you to sell what your listing (whether it is a reptile, electronics, or even a damn car) for basically nothing. I stay away from craigslist all together.

but I see no problem in selling or "rehoming" a bearded dragon on craigslist.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!