Sexing ball python - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-31-2016, 12:01 PM   #1
nohobo2
Sexing ball python

You guys are always great help so thank you inadvance. Soo I took what was thought to be a female ball 1260 grams to the vet and she was probed at 7 scales. When I got the snake it was supposed to be female. Now the breeder is saying he's 100% sure it was female because he popped her. Befor I proceed in anything further I was wondering for your opinions on the matter. If any local south Florida people want to see her be my guest as well. I just want to be 100000% sure befor I take this to the B.O.I or should I just go straight there??? Thanks again

Old 03-31-2016, 12:03 PM   #2
SPJ
If it probed 7 scales, it's definitely a male.
Popping can be inaccurate at times.
I'd go by what the vet said. If you have to go to the BOI over it, make sure you also post a copy of the vet report showing it probed 7 scales and was a male.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:34 PM   #3
NIGRO51
Try to work it out with the seller 1st before anything on the BOI since it will stay there forever. If you purchased it recently you can work out an exchange or refund if it has been a year or two then you just learned the hard lesson of double checking your animals. Im sure no one is 100% guaranteeing sex for life. It is your responsibility to check your animals in a timely manner.

Old 04-03-2016, 02:40 PM   #4
nohobo2
Yea it's actually been 5 months...I asked if if was guaranteed he said yes like first question I asked so I believed so. He's only offering me a 100 off another snake but what if that one he sexes wrong as well? Lol also it's a local thing so it's kind of weird. When I get time I might put it all together in the boi with texts. Any breeder should know it's variable so if it's guaranteed then how am I supposed to know what time frame is ok? He's saying now 5 months is to much lol. It's my first snake and had it proved at the vet I'm a student and that's really the soonest I could get a chance. I assumed I was fine because of the guarantee I guess not

Old 04-03-2016, 02:42 PM   #5
nohobo2
It sounds more like an "as is" sale if I had to verify right there and the guarantee means basically nothing down the road...

Old 04-05-2016, 10:03 AM   #6
SPJ
Snakes don't change sexes.
It's 100% the fault of the seller if it is mis-sexed. It doesn't matter if the buyer waited 2 years to check it. The seller is 100% responsible. If you sell it as one sex, you better be right.
Ive noticed lately a lot of people getting mis-sexed snakes over the past few months. Maybe some sellers need to stop selling sexed animals when they have no clue what they are doing.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:44 AM   #7
nohobo2
Amen. He's not even willing to take a second look at the snake and it's a local sale. Only sell me another snake. Regardless of the snakes gender which is definitely a huge problem the customer service definetly leaves something to be desired. This weekend or sooner I will post everything to the boi. Great input everyone thanks

Old 04-05-2016, 01:28 PM   #8
AbsoluteApril
Lesson learned to always double check sex right away. I've received missexed snakes that I didn't check until years later (that's when I learned my lesson!). I've sold a missexed snake that the buyer didn't realize until years later. We're human, mistakes can happen and sometimes they are intentional but not always.

Is the seller 100% responsible? yes but it's also debatable to what extent depending on their TOS, the time frame involved and/or what the buyer expects as compensation.

Always double check sex (or have someone do it for you) so these errors can be caught quickly and it's more likely it can be resolved to the satisfaction of both parties. After 5 months, at least the guy was willing to offer you something.
Just my opinion.

Old 04-05-2016, 04:37 PM   #9
Big Borg Reptiles
I really try to avoid taking things to the BOI unless the seller is clearly not trying to resolve the issue.

After not noticing it was sexed wrong for a few months I think it's completely fair to offer you a discount on another purchase. I would just make sure to have that one sexed immediately to avoid any issues. If that one ends up wrong as well and he refuses to fix it, THEN I would consider making a BOI thread. It happens, especially if people aren't probing, I don't know if that's grounds for giving him a permanent red mark.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:41 PM   #10
nohobo2
i understand but who would take another snake from someone who can't sex them to begin with so that offer doesn't really help me? I'll definetly not be looking for problems which is what I feel would result. Like I said I'm new to this so that sex guarantee was very important to me which is why it was the first thing I asked. how could I have known that a guarantee doesn't really mean much down the road? What was guaranteed then? Also at least people should know with this individual that special care should be taken because of the discrepancy and the result which I'm sure many customers would not be happy with being in my position.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!