Insulation Reptile room - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 12-25-2020, 10:15 AM   #1
marker1
Insulation Reptile room

Has anyone tried to insulate their reptile room with Styrofoam board? The stuff that is cut like plywood in 4X8 sheets. I thought it might be a good Idea to put a square on the inside of the window in the reptile room and even staple gun them up against the interior walls for added insulation. Any advice or critiques?

Old 12-25-2020, 12:58 PM   #2
bcr229
You're in FL. Are you trying to keep the room from getting too hot or from getting too cold? Some of the windows in my house leak like sieves so I just tape 3-mil clear plastic over them late in the fall, and that stops the cold drafts but still lets light in.

If overheating is the concern then you need to stop sunlight from entering the room. My south-facing windows all have thermal tint applied to the outside panes so that light can enter but IR (heat) is reflected. It makes a noticeable difference in the summer.

Old 12-25-2020, 01:10 PM   #3
marker1
It was too keep it from getting cold during few cold months we have to possibly save energy by having the space heater not work as hard. I keep it 78 ambient during the day and 75 ambient at night.

Old 12-25-2020, 03:17 PM   #4
bcr229
It's certainly worth trying. I used the plastic because the leaks were around the window frame rather than through the panes.

Old 12-26-2020, 05:40 PM   #5
Randall Turner
I've been needing to do this myself in my garage. (Where my rodent colony is). One thing to keep in mind is if the room is humid you want to prevent moisture from being able to get between the foam board and the walls. If you go through with the project, let us know how it turns out for you. Good luck.

Old 12-26-2020, 06:35 PM   #6
Socratic Monologue
Agree on the moisture barrier. Also code requires sheet foam products (most kinds? there might be exceptions) in a residence to be covered with a fire barrier, e.g. drywall.

Old 12-26-2020, 06:43 PM   #7
marker1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Turner View Post
I've been needing to do this myself in my garage. (Where my rodent colony is). One thing to keep in mind is if the room is humid you want to prevent moisture from being able to get between the foam board and the walls. If you go through with the project, let us know how it turns out for you. Good luck.
I could definitely see that being an issue especially between the board and the window. Thanks for pointing that out. I wonder if that would be a worry if I literally only did it for the few cold months in that florida has though.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!