Has anyone used Liquid Paraffin in snakes? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 01-25-2021, 11:56 PM   #1
Helenthereef
Has anyone used Liquid Paraffin in snakes?

I have a snake with a faecal impaction (confirmed by Xray) and the vet suggests tube-feeding him oil to help him pass it.

I have seen cases where Mineral Oil was prescribed, but that is unavailable where I live. We can get Liquid Paraffin, but my (non-reptile) vet doesn't know if it's OK in snakes.

Any experiences? Would you give Liquid Paraffin to a snake (or any other reptile for that matter)?

Many thanks for any experiences/ suggestions.
Photos: Lump seen in September
Xray 6 January
X ray 19 Jan after he had passed two large stools
Attached Images

Old 01-26-2021, 12:51 AM   #2
Randall Turner
Man, that's upsetting to see. I wish you luck treating him.

Old 01-26-2021, 07:26 AM   #3
bcr229
Can you get flaxseed oil? I would try that first.

Old 01-26-2021, 06:41 PM   #4
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
Can you get flaxseed oil? I would try that first.
I'll ask at the pharmacy, thanks for the idea. otherwise it's pretty much edible vegetable oil, castor oil (which I am sure is a no no) or liquid paraffin.

Old 01-26-2021, 06:46 PM   #5
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Turner View Post
Man, that's upsetting to see. I wish you luck treating him.
Thank for the good wishes. This snake has had a rough time. A few years ago he had a bad respiratory infection and then went off feed for a year and a half and had to be tube fed.... but he had been feeding and defecating normally for over a year when this happened.

Old 01-26-2021, 07:24 PM   #6
WebSlave
Have you tried something simple and easy like just letting him soak in warm water for a while?

Old 01-26-2021, 08:17 PM   #7
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Have you tried something simple and easy like just letting him soak in warm water for a while?
Yes, and I managed to get the first 2 stools out that way, but I can't move these remaining ones. I didn't want to massage too hard until we got the Xrays and were sure there wasn't any twist or obstruction.

I've tube fed him liquid food once, but he won't voluntarily take anything solid, and I don't want to force feed him solid food and make it worse. My hope is to tube feed him again, but with oil in the feed, then go back to baths and massage.

I'd be really grateful for any other ideas, he's had this problem since September last year and he's now losing weight so it's time for an intervention.

Old 01-26-2021, 08:56 PM   #8
Randall Turner
Could a cloacal flush possibly help soften the impaction?

Old 01-26-2021, 11:08 PM   #9
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Turner View Post
Could a cloacal flush possibly help soften the impaction?
I'm a bit intimidated by the thought... my vets couldn't do this, I'd have to do it myself. Have you done it before?

Old 01-26-2021, 11:28 PM   #10
Randall Turner
I have not, was just thinking of different ways to help with blockages in people and other animals. From what little I read up on it, it's used to collect samples for testing, as well as administering medications, and hydration.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!