Someone sell me on rosy boas - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Rosy, Sand, Ground Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-22-2016, 02:22 PM   #1
Big Borg Reptiles
Someone sell me on rosy boas

As the title says, I need some convincing to get into rosy boas. I notice there's a lot of locality stuff and I'm not a big locality person, so I feel like maybe that's a deal breaker?

What are the positives and negatives with these guys? I'm trying to diversify a bit so I can see what species I'm really into, because I feel like most new animals I work with I end up falling in love. It seems like these guys are pretty popular so I figure there must be a reason.

Let me hear your thoughts!

Old 09-22-2016, 03:31 PM   #2
ShawneeAlice
I received my first ever rosy boas recently. (A limburg snow male and an albino het snow female)

Before I sought those guys out, I wasn't a huge fan of Rosy's because they don't get that big and their head looks weird. They look more like worms than snakes to me. But I can safely say I adore my rosy boas now and I feel wrong for judging a book by its cover lol

The only experience I have with them is the ones I have, but for mine, they are GREAT eaters and they are NOT SHY at ALL. They immediately took to handling, they are not afraid or shy. They were both live eaters for the breeder but immediately took frozen thawed from me. Also their looks are growing on me, little by little lol

I just adore all white snakes, so limburg snows was an easy choice for me. Whenever I do start breeding, I plan to only focus on Specific species/locality's/morphs I like. So with the rosy's, I really love the snows and plan to only produce snows. Same with boas, I plan to produce snow BCI's. I also am going to produce Caulker Cay locality boas. I plan on only focusing on my favorites.

Old 09-22-2016, 03:32 PM   #3
ShawneeAlice
Also for your viewing pleasure is my little pink male and my female perfectly coiling her mouse pinkie

Old 09-23-2016, 01:40 AM   #4
Big Borg Reptiles
I'm not a huge fan of white snakes personally but I like the color/pattern on the albino. I agree, there's something about their face that isn't particularly appealing to me lol.

I had someone offer me a pair of het albino rosies in a trade but turned it down because I didn't know anything about them. I just dont want to limit myself on what animals I get because I might be missing out on something I really enjoy. I figure maybe if i have some idea what to expect it will convince me to add them to my list

Old 10-01-2016, 12:33 AM   #5
Harold of the Rocks
Rosy's aren't for everyone. Rosy's can be really mellow or really nippy , If you're into high dollar morphs without a care where the original stock was found... these probably aren't for you and you wont make millions with rosy's, but enough to pay for your mice and a couple new locality's a year is very doable
That being said if you are a fan of naturally occurring variations over a relatively small portion of the world it doesn't get any better. After several years of breeding different species for the last 10 years i almost exclusively breed rosy's and wouldn't have it any other way. For me to go travel down into their habitat once or twice a year (rarely seeing wild individuals) looking at how they live and spending time in several of their locality's here and Mexico i have a great appreciation for them.
I really like the tight nit group of locality rosy fanciers, we are a little fanatical about our locality's but not as bad as those grey band guys.
I think the best example i can give is to go onto the localityrosys website and look at the localitys page, if the variations there move you this may be a uncontrollable addiction for you, or... Meh these little slugs are weird and move on.

Old 10-01-2016, 09:33 PM   #6
Big Borg Reptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold of the Rocks View Post

I really like the tight nit group of locality rosy fanciers, we are a little fanatical about our locality's but not as bad as those grey band guys.
I lol'd at this part. I'm definitely not looking into them as a "get-rich-quick" scheme, I'm just interested in branching out into some species that I haven't worked with before to see how much they appeal to me. Breeding is one of the biggest joys I get out of owning reptiles so that's obviously going to be a part of it, but having snakes that I enjoy working with is more important to me than making a buck.

I'll check out that site and see if any of them really stand out to me, thanks for the heads up.

Old 10-02-2016, 03:51 PM   #7
carpetXchick
What about carpets....lol

Sent from my SM-N915R4 using Tapatalk

Old 10-02-2016, 11:44 PM   #8
Big Borg Reptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetXchick View Post
What about carpets....lol

Haha. You know, I guarantee I'll end up buying some again down the road. I recently traded for a couple KSBs even though I didn't think I'd get those again. I start to miss the different species after a while.

Old 10-03-2016, 09:38 AM   #9
carpetXchick
Haha that's awesome. I was just giving you a hard time. They are all doing great btw. I have never seen the appeal of the rosy's, like someone else said they remind me of worms which I'm terrified of lol. But, it's very possible they are a awesome species and you will never know if you don't try. I'd say do the research, and if they sound appealing enough, get one or two and try em out.

Old 10-03-2016, 12:40 PM   #10
DLenaRuth999s
I love my Rosie's. I have several, and only one is a nipper. They are slower moving, easy to house and feed, and I like their looks. Their facial stipling is very pretty and unique to individuals. Some have more "cheekbone structure" than others, and some have a wider face... so they are no more identical than all normal BP's or all classic corns. As for the nipper, they don't fast strike the way balls do, it's almost in slo-mo. Lol. I see him moving his head into biting position and just shift his little self right around. He's nailed me twice - tiny pinpricks, a dot of blood, and I used a q-tip to disengage his little teeth. He gave me a head-cocked look, like "You mean you aren't dinner?" Very cute boy.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!