Help!!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:33 PM   #1
loye
Help!!!

I'm in need of some help. I have done reptile rescue in the past and was recently informed of an animal in need. I was told it's a box turtle...problem is...I have NO idea how to take care of it!!! I'll tell you what I know...I was told "it's not eating well." the people were giving it one strawberry every few days. and that 'it may have an issue with its eye'. I go and pick it up and well...they are keeping it in a 10 gallon aquarium, no heat lights, sand substrate, NO floor room (there is a large bowl on one half, and a half-log hide on the other half with a small food dish taking up the rest of the room). I need help!!!

Old 02-21-2012, 10:34 PM   #2
loye
I also should mention he has what appears to be holes in either side of his shell...not sure what that is

Old 02-22-2012, 08:19 AM   #3
rcarichter
Okay...
Go to your local Target/Walmart, and get the largest plastic storage box you can find. Floor space is more important than height. Use a peat substrate at least 6 inches deep, as they like to dig/burrow this time of year. Deeper is better. It needs a shallow water dish it can get all the way into, sunk into the substrate, and it will likely use it for both a drink and a toilet. Heat one end to around 90 using a clip-on or goose-neck light so it doesn't melt the plastic. Lay a florescent light over the top. Google the specific type of box turtle for food requirements, but it'll be insects and fruit/veg.
The holes are probably from the teeth or talons of whatever injured it in the first place. Keep an eye on the holes. They're very adept a healing, but what for infection.
When the weather warms up, if all appears well, set it free. It's illegal to keep box turtles in most states, but exceptions are made in cases of rehab. And, really, they'll never know you have one. But they do best outdoors. Good luck!

Noelle

Old 02-22-2012, 10:16 AM   #4
loye
Thanks so much! The people said they bought it at a pet shop. I have a large tote that I am working on switching it to this morning until I can get a larger one (get paid Friday, but want him out of that 10 gal!!!) With that eco earth work? I have a couple blocks of that. I put a mixture of kale/collared greens in a dish for it last night, he didn't eat any that I saw. But I also have wax worms...should those be ok? I took a couple pics of it hoping someone could help me narrow down what exactly it is!!! I put a heat light on him last night to try to get him warmed up. Do they sell peat at like walmart or home depot?

Old 02-22-2012, 10:19 AM   #5
loye
can i use sphagnum peat moss? and is it ok if it is enriched with miricale grow plant food? that seems to be all I can find...I looked at some things last night because I thought he would need dirt instead of sand...but everything I saw was enriched with miricale grow plant food

Old 02-22-2012, 10:42 AM   #6
loye
Here it is in the 10 gal tank to get idea on his size

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 02-22-2012, 01:06 PM   #7
rcarichter
Looks like a three-toed. The holes, I would guess, are from the canine teeth of a predator.
NO miracle grow. I would go with peat. Eco-earth is fine, but it's going to be expensive to buy enough of it to fill a large enclosure. Peat you can get at a hardware store, just make sure it has no fertilizer added. Keep the enclosure humid, like the deep woods.
Three-toeds don't eat leafy veggies. They do like wild strawberries, which are plentiful in the woods. However, their main food is earthworms. You can get those at any pet store or bait shop. Wax worms are basically like french fries. They'll keep an animal alive for a while, but they're nothing but fat. You could also try holding a large cricket up to its mouth. They like live food, but can't easily catch crickets.
If you're going to keep this guy as a pet, it will probably need an outdoor enclosure in the late spring. I don't immediately see that he needs to be rescued, other than from the small tank. Oh yeah, if you buy a plastic bin, go for a colored or opaque one. They don't understand see-through, and it will frustrate them.

Noelle

Old 02-22-2012, 09:15 PM   #8
chairman
That turtle has to be suffering from pretty severe dehydration if it has been living like that for any period of time. Give him a baby-food soak. Get the water to about 80*, make it as deep as the intersection between the plastron and top part of shell, and add a jar of a yellow or orange baby food to the water. Carrots, squash, etc... something that'll be high in vitamin A. Leave him in for about 15 minutes, then repeat daily for the next week or so. If you can do two soakings a day that'd be great. I wouldn't be surprised if the turtle take a good long drink, and even if he doesn't the soak should help to hydrate him and clear up that eye problem.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:58 PM   #9
loye
Thanks guys.

Chairman-I've had this little one for about 24 hours now and have yet to see it eat. I've tried different wax worms and mealworms, different greens, a slice of tomato (saw that they can have those) and I'm gonna try a banana and a strawberry...just try to get him to eat something. I gave him a soak yesterday. Do they eat baby food out of dishes? Like they would eat greens? I thought of getting some reg earthworms, and letting them get so he can dig into the dirt (I put him in a larger tote to hold him over until I get paid and can get a bigger one, added some dirt and some leaves that I found under the snow...put in a container and warmed up to crush lol, I put his log hide on one side and got one of those ceramic flower pot bottom things to put water in (it's shallow, but big enough he can get his whole body in it) and I have another uvb light ordered. As of now I put a heat light in there to get temps up, and am going to get some baby food while I'm at the store and try to do his soaks with that. I've been trying to get him 2x a day into a warm bath so I will keep that up. I'm hoping he gets better.

So, my question is...how do I get him to eat?!?!?! I know sometimes they go into hibernation...if is ok if he doesn't eat for a couple days? Is that normal? I've mostly dealt w/ lizards and snakes this is my first tortoise. So be prepared for a lot of question!

Old 02-23-2012, 04:55 PM   #10
rcarichter
Box turtles would normally be in hibernation right now. I wouldn't worry about it going without eating for a while, but when it does eat, it's going to want worms. My tortoises don't hibernate, but during the winter they only eat about once a week. Can it see at all? You mentioned some eye problems. If it can see, put in a shallow dish with meal/wax worms and strawberries, and he'll eat when he's hungry. The heat will help increase its appetite. It's possible, given the holes, that it was dug up from hibernating by a dog.

Noelle

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!