MITES - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

Old 04-22-2007, 06:52 PM   #1
Chris Steele
Exclamation MITES

My mouse and hamster have mites, can my snakes or roaches get them? Personal advice? How bigger problem is this?

Old 04-22-2007, 07:00 PM   #2
Chris Steele
Alright, so far I've read that they won't bother my snakes, don't know about roaches yet, can someone confirm this for me?

They must be mites though as opposed to lice, because they are in my hamsters cage as well, correct?

Old 04-24-2007, 01:43 PM   #3
Chris Steele
No one??

Old 04-29-2007, 11:20 AM   #4
kggjr
You can treat them also left untreated the hamster and mouse can get very sick and die , let me know and I can tell you what you can use to treat them.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:28 PM   #5
Wolfy-hound
I've got some bugs on my rats too... any ideas on what to use to treat them?

Old 05-03-2007, 01:16 AM   #6
monkeywrench133
I just recently had a discussion with a license pest control contractor about what the best pesticide to use on/around mammals for mites, fleas, lice, ticks was. His answer was Sevin Dust, which is readily available in the garden section of Walmart.

He didn't get too technical with me, but in short, Sevin Dust kills anything without a liver or kidneys, ie, invertebrates. However, it is harmless to mammals because our bodies, our kidneys and liver, break it down into harmless waste products (chiefly carbon), and pass it out of the body in about four hours.

You would NOT want to use this to rid your roach colony of mites however. For that, you may need to try finding those "predatory mites" that are available, which are supposed to eat all the harmful mites. If you do a google search, you should be able to find a supplier.

Old 06-15-2007, 02:42 PM   #7
amjon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Steele
My mouse and hamster have mites, can my snakes or roaches get them? Personal advice? How bigger problem is this?
I know snakes can get ticks, so I don't see why they wouldn't be able to get mites (similar to ticks). Not sure about the roaches. Have you treated the mouse and hamster? You can hang one of the bird mite protectors by the cages to help keep them out. Should be okay for all (except, don't know about roaches???).

Old 06-15-2007, 02:44 PM   #8
amjon
I would apply Ivermectin on the skin in the area with the bugs/ mites and hang a bird mite protector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy-hound
I've got some bugs on my rats too... any ideas on what to use to treat them?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!