R.I. Treatment - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:29 PM   #1
zacalaca
R.I. Treatment

I have newly aquired 2000gram female ball that has a slight RI, wondering what my best course of action is. Baytril? Oral, Injectable? Please help!!! I know things can get serious Quickly and i want to prevent that if possible. Thanks ahead of time!!!

Old 10-28-2009, 08:08 AM   #2
hhmoore
Many cases of "slight" or "early RI", are not actually infections....
Respiratory symptoms develop as a result of changing, or inappropriate, environmental conditions (ie, decreasing humidity, or infrequent cleaning. Insufficient humidity is a common issue when the temps go down and the heat comes on...). I'd recommend double checking, and correcting, basic husbandry before making a jump to medications.
If medications are needed, the selection should be based upon the organism involved.
If Baytril is selected, both oral and injectable are effective...your vet may have a preference, though (Baytril does require a prescription for purchase).
Good luck with the snake, hope she gets straightened out quickly.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:21 AM   #3
zacalaca
Yeah, she's a new aqusition. The problem is i live in a rural area so any vet advice would have to be done via e-mail or phone. I put her in the highest shelf in the quarantine rack, but prior to me gettting her she was is an aquarium. I have a vet that i use for the rest of my animals, who will give me any drug i might need, but as far as herpotolgist vets i'd have to go at least a couple of hundred miles. I am confident in my husbandry, as i have never had any of my snakes become i'll. I guess i better get on the phone and start calling getting advice from specialized vets. thanks!!!!

Old 10-28-2009, 08:10 PM   #4
Mooing Tricycle
you cant just guess. The vet NEEDS to get a swab to determine the TYPE of infection. Just because its an RI is no indication of what is causing it.

You need to see a vet.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:16 PM   #5
JordanAng420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle View Post
you cant just guess. The vet NEEDS to get a swab to determine the TYPE of infection. Just because its an RI is no indication of what is causing it.

You need to see a vet.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:38 PM   #6
zacalaca
well, easier said than done, i live in rural tennessee. i got baytril injections for the girl today. i know a vet that lives a few hour away, and after consulting him he recommended baytril. he also called a local vet for me (my dog and cat vet) and instructed him on the dosage for me. The vet that called it in for me breeds balls himself, so i'm sure he's not going to steer me wrong. I'd love to just drop everything, and drive three hours+ to go see him in person, but work, and raising a son on my own leaves me with no time. Thanks for all of the advice, I will kepp ya'll updated on the progress i make.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:50 PM   #7
Mooing Tricycle
That vet can get a swab and determine the type of infection. Guessing and medicating is not smart.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:11 PM   #8
hhmoore
At this point, you don't even know that the snake NEEDS antibiotics...but go ahead and give them if it makes you feel better.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:57 PM   #9
zacalaca
I am just trying to work within my means. Dr. Tom Harbin is a vet i trust, and he has an awesome collection of ball pythons. I appreciate all of what you are saying, but its not to make me feel better, it's to make my snake feel better. I trust his judgement, and i can't see what motive he would have for steering me in the direction he did, he doesn't stand to gain anything. I'd rather be safe than sorry. I've been keeping reptiles since i was 5, granted i'm only thirty now- but i'm not a rookie herper either. All of my collection is in tip top condition, and i want her to join the ranks as well. Please dont guilt trip me, we all have a love for herps in common, but all of our practices differ- who are any of ya'll to say your way is better or more rational than someone elses? I was looking for helpful advice from personal experience, not criticism.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:10 AM   #10
zacalaca
And or the record she was sick when i traded a $10 normal baby ball for her, her owner said she was a biter and wanted a baby that was passive. The baytril cost me $20. So i have $30 in a 2000gram female so far, i figured if i could nurse her back, it would be a good deal i came upon. If not I would be only out $30. I am confident she will recover with the course of action i am taking, and she will join the ranks of my 70 other healthy snakes.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!