RedTail has prolapsed semi-penis due to birth defect - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:34 PM   #1
texascobra
RedTail has prolapsed semi-penis due to birth defect

i work at a pet store in san antonio tx. a customer brought a snake to me that he had bought about two weeks before i started to work there. the snake has a deformed end of his tail. it curles and ends about a inch after the anus. well, his semi-penis protrudes out of the anus because it simply cannot fit inside of the deformed tail, bearly pushing on the tail causes the whole thing to pop out!. the customer was told by a previous employee who doesnt work there anymore that if he soaked the snake in warm sugar water that it would go away?????? it had obviously not worked. i was confused and told them i would see how i could help, hopefully someone can help me. is there anything i can do? my cell # is 210-288-5206. i can send pictures with my phone is you need to see it.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:48 PM   #2
Helenthereef
As I understand it a sugar water soak can help replace a prolapse, but if there is a physical blockage to the replacement I don't think it could be a permanent fix.

I suggest posing photos here- it'll generate more interest and you may get more informed responses.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:55 PM   #3
Kaiyudsai
I would think the best thing may be to do would be bring it to a vet.... they may decide to amputate since there is a deformty

Old 03-26-2010, 12:18 AM   #4
Helenthereef
I agree a vet visit would be recommended - if his hemi-pene is out all the time it could easily lead to a serious infection.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:30 AM   #5
SamanthaJane13
This works about 90% of the time with geckos but I'm not sure about snakes.

Might be worth a try, though!!!

Get a container-with a lid-and fill it with about 3/4 to 1 inch of luke warm water.

Add sugar to it-maybe 3/4 to 2 cups-depending on the size of the snake and the size of the container.

Let the snake soak for 15 to 30 minutes.

This is an old folk remedy used by "All Creatures Great & Small" author James Herriot-aka Alf Wight-during his years of veterinary practice.

I also apply a bit of KY Jelly with a Q-tip to keep the tissue moist if it doesn't go in right away. Sometimes, just the cold temp of the Jelly makes the tissue retract.

Also-they may be able to put a purse-string stitch in and not have to amputate the hemi-pene.

I've heard of several geckos having that kind of surgery, and going on to breed again!

Just keep it moist if you have to get him to a vet!!

Old 03-26-2010, 03:19 AM   #6
Utta
Males can breed with only one hemi-pene but if his tail is so deformed to the point where it curls and pushes his hemi-pene out, the vet might have to amputate both of them.

only thing you can do it keep it moist until you take him to a vet. if you don't take him to the vet its very possible he could die.

Old 03-26-2010, 04:22 AM   #7
Shadera
It sounds like you are going to need a vet to intervene. He may be able to fix what's going on by surgery, or he may even recommend euthanasia. The penes are very sensitive, as you might imagine, and dragging them around is opening wounds that can get infected. If he waits too long, that in itself could be life threatening. I hope you can help the little guy.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:27 AM   #8
SamanthaJane13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utta View Post
Males can breed with only one hemi-pene but if his tail is so deformed to the point where it curls and pushes his hemi-pene out, the vet might have to amputate both of them.

only thing you can do it keep it moist until you take him to a vet. if you don't take him to the vet its very possible he could die.
Actually, snakes breed with one hemipene AT A TIME-just like geckos.

It just means they don't use BOTH at the same time.

As I said-many geckos can still reproduce with one hemipene.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:46 PM   #9
Twizted Paths
Should just have them both removed, don't need more deformed animals being bred.

I hope he got it as a rescue and didn't pay for it.

Old 03-27-2010, 12:56 AM   #10
texascobra
yes, he pooped a lot when i got back to work, and only one was sticking out. i think the vet is the best idea. ill try to get pics but it may take a few days. thanks for yalls reasponses

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!