Little Anole not eating...suggestions? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:36 AM   #1
SonnyWimps
Little Anole not eating...suggestions?

I work at a pet store and a customer brought in this little green anole and asked if our store could take it in. They said that they bought a plant from a local hardware store and found the little guy on it. I took him home as my store couldn't (policy...).
I have everything right from what I know of but he's not eating. I'm thinking maybe stress, but he's moving around and basking in the lights but ignores the crickets.

I have him in a 10gal aquarium. Flooring right now is the reptile mats (by ZooMed I believe) as he can see the crickets easier...but I do want to get him on something more natural like moss once I know he eats fine. He has one fake leaf thing to hide in (will be buying more as soon as the store I work for gets more in..they just had one), I have one hammock that he can sit on also. I have something for him to hide in and a water dish (though I know they don't drink out of there....it makes me feel better lol). I spray the sides down at least 3 times a day if not more...I'm always checking on him.
Lighting wise for heat I have a normal 65 watt bulb...then for UVA and UVB I have a ReptiSun 5.0 strip light. He likes sitting right underneath the UB bulb.

He's maybe 5 inches including his tail...will change colors from green to brown, moves around, sleeps, but that's about it...he might have eaten but I haven't seem him...he doesn't race after them once I put them in like my old Anoles used to.

I have handled him three times....once to get him into the 10gal...once taking him out of it, replacing the moss for the carpet stuff, then putting him back into the 10gal aquarium.
Just curious to know if anyone had suggestions...I'm guessing it's more stress on why he's not eating as it's still a new place.
He's also skinny though, I can see the ribs....a coworker said that was normal with them as they are a lean lizard but I don't recall that on my old anoles.....
Thanks

Old 10-28-2010, 09:11 AM   #2
DAND
I'd suggest putting only 2 or 3 crickets in the tank, that way you'd be able to tell if it has eaten or not.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:29 AM   #3
SonnyWimps
the issue with that is the go underneath the carpet...would taking out the carpet be a good idea? I just don't want it to get too hot for him. The temperature is about 83-85ish.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:37 AM   #4
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyWimps View Post
the issue with that is the go underneath the carpet...would taking out the carpet be a good idea? I just don't want it to get too hot for him. The temperature is about 83-85ish.
Maybe try some paper towel. Cut it a little smaller then the tank so it will lay flat and so the crickets won't be able to get under it. If you mist the towel it will lay flatter also.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!