Ball Python Auctions!!!!!! Please be careful... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:00 PM   #1
Tropoddity
Exclamation Ball Python Auctions!!!!!! Please be careful...

There are all these auctions popping up everywhere to sell Ball python morphs. This not a good idea it will kill that market. People will catch on and set up fake bids, they will have a friend always out bid the highest until they get to where they want. This is a old school scam. Watch out and be careful where you do auctions and who the person is that is doing it. Just looking out for everyone. Serious about this. They are all over Facebook now.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:51 PM   #2
FireStorm
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropoddity View Post
There are all these auctions popping up everywhere to sell Ball python morphs. This not a good idea it will kill that market. People will catch on and set up fake bids, they will have a friend always out bid the highest until they get to where they want. This is a old school scam. Watch out and be careful where you do auctions and who the person is that is doing it. Just looking out for everyone. Serious about this. They are all over Facebook now.
I find this topic pretty interesting. I spent a decent amount of time as a kid attending thoroughbred auctions, and I've always loved auctions because of it. So its interesting to me to see everyone's reaction now that all these ball python auctions are happening. Out of curiosity, why do you think these auctions will kill the market?

Also, on the subject of people bidding on their own animals until a desired price is met, or having others do it for them, this is a well known common practice in thoroughbred auctions. IMO, it isn't a scam (with the exception of "penny auctions" where you have to pay to bid, but they seem like a ripoff to me anyway). The reason consigned bidding (that's when the person selling/consigning the animal bids on it) is preferred by some over just setting a reserve is that it allows the seller to guage interest and react accordingly instead of being locked in to a reserve. Its also worth noting that in thoroughbred auctions where a reserve is used the auctioneer and spotters (the guys who look for bids and relay them to the auctioneer) know what the reserve is and will work the bids up to get them past the reserve, so its not really that different than consigned bidding.

Anyways, just thought I would offer something for comparison.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:42 PM   #3
Tropoddity
Quote:
Also, on the subject of people bidding on their own animals until a desired price is met, or having others do it for them, this is a well known common practice in thoroughbred auctions. IMO, it isn't a scam

How can it not be a scam if the other people bidding, do not know they are being hustled by hidden bidders. So you are saying that is ok?

Old 01-14-2012, 05:35 PM   #4
FireStorm
It isn't a scam because you are free to stop bidding whenever the price gets higher than what you are willing to pay, and you aren't out any money at that point (like I said, I'm not talking about penny auctions).

Here's an example of how I would approach an auction (doesn't really matter if it's a snake, a horse, or an inanimate object). First I decide what animal(s)/item I'm interested in and do some research to determine how much I'm willing to pay. The amount of research depends on what exactly I'm buying of course. For ball pythons, it could be as simple as a quick look through the classifieds to see what similar animals are selling for. I set an absolute maximum amount for myself, and I won't bid higher than that. If the animal sells for less than my max, great, if not, then I get outbid. I don't buy the animal, but I'm not out anything other than the time I spent watching the auction.

From my perspective, it doesn't matter who I'm bidding against. Whether I'm bidding against the owner, the owner's friend, or some guy I've never met the outcome is the same. I will either buy the animal if it can be had for a price that I'm willing to pay, or I won't if the price gets too high. No one is forcing me to bid more than what I want to pay. As long as the animal is as described, its not a scam.

Let's say that, for example, Lesser females are selling for $250 to $300 in the classifieds (not an auction) but I list mine for $400 because I really like her so I want more (not saying she's especially nice, just that I want $400). Is that a scam in your opinion?

Also, disregard the frowny face in my first post...I didn't even notice that until I came back to reply. Looks like that's what I get for typing my first post on my phone. I really am interested in having a friendly discussion about this since it's a topic that interests me.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:34 PM   #5
deborahbroadus
IMO, it's a form of dishonesty.
If seller wants XXX amount of dollars, instead of putting "spotters" in the audience, he should simply PRICE the animal and be done with it.

It is unfair to allow/con bidders to think that they are in an honest bidding forum. Not to mention, that the one ultimately winning could possibly end up feeling robbed if the information regarding the "rigged" bidding came to light.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:56 PM   #6
Wilomn
Quote:
Originally Posted by deborahbroadus View Post
IMO, it's a form of dishonesty.
If seller wants XXX amount of dollars, instead of putting "spotters" in the audience, he should simply PRICE the animal and be done with it.

It is unfair to allow/con bidders to think that they are in an honest bidding forum. Not to mention, that the one ultimately winning could possibly end up feeling robbed if the information regarding the "rigged" bidding came to light.
ballbids showed how not to do it. Done properly and up front, how could it be dishonest?

I'm also unsure how come he should sell his snakes the way YOU, ms. broadus, thinks he should.

Can you explain that or do you simply still think that no matter what your opinion is on something it is the only opinion worth having?

We've seen what happened with little zackeroni and his less than sharp pal. They were simply too stupid to realize that the jig was up and then they had the balls, heh heh heh, to keep trying to fool us.

However, if the game isn't rigged, there is nothing I can see wrong with that method of selling anything.

Perhaps you could educate me, you do seem to love to educate people.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:24 AM   #7
Tropoddity
Here is a great example! You have a guy shuffling cards at a corner. He lets a couple of his own friends win to make the game really interesting. But what the other viewers do not realize those winners are his friends. And the game is always rigged in the players favor. May be to street to understand, but it is like polishing poop! No matter what or how you do it. It is still tricking people into it. Trickery is the devils game. I do not understand how it is fare to have false bidders, I want that answered.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:56 AM   #8
Tropoddity
I smell Hustle and scam before it is even designed. Trust me, 20+ years in the music game will teach you who is BS and who is not. This is shady gambling at its finest. I am glad you bring up thoroughbred auctions to make scamming more classy! My uncle was in the thoroughbred circuit, years ago. Yes he did study the market, and also got tips from people on the inside to help him bid and bet on the right horses. So, regardless you can't make cheating people a classy practice. I guess that is what you are trying to say right? This is another form of high class bidding?

I saw some poor sucker by roaches for to dang high, and the auction end still didn't deliver. I am also saying the bidding thing started to leak into places where it does not need to be. Facebook, not a great idea,that is the scam artist paradise.

Just like drug dealers give people a taste they get addicted then they mess up peoples lives. It can become very addictive once you let them win a couple times right? No matter how you look at it is a scam. Ok, lets call it a classy scam.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:51 AM   #9
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropoddity View Post
I smell Hustle and scam before it is even designed. Trust me, 20+ years in the music game will teach you who is BS and who is not. This is shady gambling at its finest. I am glad you bring up thoroughbred auctions to make scamming more classy! My uncle was in the thoroughbred circuit, years ago. Yes he did study the market, and also got tips from people on the inside to help him bid and bet on the right horses. So, regardless you can't make cheating people a classy practice. I guess that is what you are trying to say right? This is another form of high class bidding?

I saw some poor sucker by roaches for to dang high, and the auction end still didn't deliver. I am also saying the bidding thing started to leak into places where it does not need to be. Facebook, not a great idea,that is the scam artist paradise.

Just like drug dealers give people a taste they get addicted then they mess up peoples lives. It can become very addictive once you let them win a couple times right? No matter how you look at it is a scam. Ok, lets call it a classy scam.
It doesn't matter what "forum/method" one uses to sell their snakes, the point is the ethics behind the method. Rigging a bidding even if it's just because the seller has a certain number in mind and the rigged bidders are friends and the buyers got what they paid for... is still dishonest (IMO) and all the excuses given are simply rationalizations...whether it done in a classy or ghetto way.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:21 PM   #10
Camel413
I have to agree with Firestorm. IMO its all in the wording being used to describe the action. I dont think it is a "scam" I think he made a logical explanation to that. Would I call it shady, maybe but not a scam.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!