Pennsylvania state law issues - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > USA State Specific Issues

Notices

USA State Specific Issues Issues that are specific to a particular state, or subregion within a state, should be appended to the existing relevant thread. NEW threads cannot be created in this forum.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:32 PM   #31
vafishinpa
Sounds absurd

The state is just looking for more revenue to replace mismanaged funds! Reading it, I don't think it means $25 per animal but $25 to own herp pets right?

Old 03-08-2012, 09:06 AM   #32
suzuki4life
Personally, I think everyone should place a call to each person who endorses these bills and let them know that if their name appears on ANY bill aimed at destroying your right to enjoy your hobby, you will vote for ANYONE other than them on the next election they are listed.

I talked to people over the gator ban bill. Illusions of 1000 lb gators, rampant attacks and thousands of gators living in PA sewers was the image they proposed. When I asked how a reptile would ever survive freezing temps for over 3 months a year. They went silent. Tried to say they'd learn to hibernate. I laughed.

Sometimes it is very hard to fix stupid people.

The people I spoke to could not direct me to a single attack documented in PA by a gator. They fumbled their words when i told them that in the USA more people are killed by horses annually than ALL reptiles combined. That feral dogs and cats pose greater threats to humanity through aggression, spread of disease and increasing numbers.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #33
vafishinpa
ha

If gators could hibernate and withstand the climate North of VA/NC border, don't they would already be here on their own power.

I guess the concern with the gators, is the sheer size they reach and what "could happen" if a large pet escaped.

I guess I should start voting again and pay more attention to the hobby that I enjoy so much.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:58 PM   #34
serena wise
Pennsylvaia government is just as bad as any other state government, and sometimes the federal government. They all base their findings on what could be, and not what is.

I agree that as a general rule in Pa, that most reptiles are not going to survive our winter season, although this past season was a bit milder then usual. And that ferral cats and dogs do pose more of a health risk and danger to the general public on a daily basis then reptiles do.

Pennsylvania doest even enforce the laws that they have on the books now, and does not have enough knowledgeable staff to do so, so even if this bill passes I am not sure anything will come of it as far as enforcement goes for some time. I could be wrong, just my thoughts.

I don't personally care what animals or reptiles people own, and think that everyone should have a fair and equal right to keep and possess (RESPONSIBLY) any species of their choosing as long as it is done in accordance with the law (not illegally obtained, endangered and such). Pa has been a very easy state to obtain and keep just about anything, and I think they would have more pressing issues at hand with all of the venomous reptiles in possession and collections in the state, if they press issues to hard on the keeping of other reptile species.

I mean, in all honesty, and not picking on any one group, but have you ever been to the hamburg reptile show. I have seen large animals cramped in small containers, animals displayed in cracked or shattered aquariums, venomous species displayed in deli cups on tables that are easily accessible to small children, animals that clearly look unhealthy, animals of all kinds being sold to kids that clearly appear to under 18. I am sure that other shows are the same, but talk about RESPONSIBILTY, I am sure I am gonna take a nice hard hit on this one, but clearly I think the reptile community needs to take a look at some of the persona it gives off, and realize that it is some of our own actions that bring these bills to surface.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:02 PM   #35
Heart and Soul Reptiles
Kennet Square has just passed an ordinance banning any pet that bites within the borough.
This will also apply to any mammal (dogs and cats too) that bites someone or any other animal more than once in their lifetime.

Front page of the daily local today: http://www.dailylocal.com/article/20...pets-that-bite

Old 03-11-2012, 07:43 PM   #36
suzuki4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by serena wise View Post
Pennsylvania doest even enforce the laws that they have on the books now, and does not have enough knowledgeable staff to do so, so even if this bill passes I am not sure anything will come of it as far as enforcement goes for some time. I could be wrong, just my thoughts.

I don't personally care what animals or reptiles people own, and think that everyone should have a fair and equal right to keep and possess (RESPONSIBLY) any species of their choosing as long as it is done in accordance with the law (not illegally obtained, endangered and such). Pa has been a very easy state to obtain and keep just about anything, and I think they would have more pressing issues at hand with all of the venomous reptiles in possession and collections in the state, if they press issues to hard on the keeping of other reptile species.

I mean, in all honesty, and not picking on any one group, but have you ever been to the hamburg reptile show. I have seen large animals cramped in small containers, animals displayed in cracked or shattered aquariums, venomous species displayed in deli cups on tables that are easily accessible to small children, animals that clearly look unhealthy, animals of all kinds being sold to kids that clearly appear to under 18. I am sure that other shows are the same, but talk about RESPONSIBILTY, I am sure I am gonna take a nice hard hit on this one, but clearly I think the reptile community needs to take a look at some of the persona it gives off, and realize that it is some of our own actions that bring these bills to surface.

Pa does enforce laws when called. And they are patrolling shows more than ever.

Why pick on venomous? No claims in PA in many many years mainly because the owners are either VERY lucky or they just might have enough common sense to being doing something right.

Hamburg, personally I don't think there should be anyone under 18 there period. I know there are plenty of great teenagers out there but I have to set a number somewhere. The place is packed tight enough without the stroller situation. If I saw abuse I would certainly report it. If you don't report it, you are damaging the hobby as bad as the abuser is.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:44 PM   #37
jntreptiles
Kylie,

I don't know if you happened to catch this in the article that you posted a link to above, but the caption under the photo, it clearly states that the woman was holding a boa. It looks to me that this is a carpet python.

One more example as to why we as reptile keepers need to step up to the plate and be heard. Here are elected officials, voted into office by we the people, salaries paid by we the people, telling us what we can and cannot have as pets, when as depicted in the link above, they clearly are uneducated and have no idea what we have.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:27 PM   #38
Heart and Soul Reptiles
@ Joe: yes I did notice that! It made me nuts!! It was printed that way in the paper too.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:31 PM   #39
Heart and Soul Reptiles
Once weather warms up a little more we will be walking our animals around town as we do every year.
This year I would like to take a petition with us against Bill 2233 (3155).
If anyone could help me figure out where we can get an online one started, that would be awesome.
Thanks

Old 03-12-2012, 02:09 PM   #40
suzuki4life
walking your animals around town and imposing them on the general public is exactly what people shouldn't be doing.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!