Dubia Roach - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:01 AM   #1
Kotori
Question Dubia Roach

Well, my local show has Dubia roaches So now the only thing standing between me breeding them, is my Dad's fear of them infesting the house. He was unlucky enought o have to deal with them during college.

So, I live in southern Ohio, where the temps get down to -10 sometimes, and the room they'll be in will be about 55-65 degrees.

My question is, is it possible for them to reproduce and infest the house from there?

I know for feeding you want to keep them at 90, but what is the bare minimum for reproduction?

Old 09-13-2011, 08:18 AM   #2
DAND
There is no worry about an infestation. I'd suggest using plastic totes (I prefer using the 66 quart sterilite) versus tanks because they can climb the silicone in the corners and escape.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:24 AM   #3
Frankyminion
They will be fine but i would put them on a heating pad or they wont breed in those temps. And also theres a guy in baltimore, ohio thats selling off alot of his dubias right now in case your interested. I just bought some off of him.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:50 PM   #4
JeffreH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
I know for feeding you want to keep them at 90, but what is the bare minimum for reproduction?
They can thrive at temperatures in the 70's but will not breed proficiently (if at all) on the lower to mid range. They are also a very slow reporducing roach compared to the pest species we seen like the German Cockroach who might reach sexual maturity in a couple of months and produce substantially more offspring more frequently per litter. As the others already said, no chance of infesting their home. Your actually more likely to have crickets infest the house than B. dubia IMO.

FACT: Only a fraction of the species of roaches in the world are actually "pests." They are all decomposers that are given a bad rap because a of a couple of bad cousins.

I would keep them at a mimimum of 80 degrees ish, preferably in the mid to upper 80's - lower 90 range for ideal growth and reproduction = )

Old 09-14-2011, 06:49 AM   #5
Kotori
Okay. I wanted to be sure that if one or two got out, that they couldn't breed. Some people at the show also sell tubs with screen in them, so I'll probably get that, and might end up buying roaches elsewhere (Their prices were $15 for 50 1/4 in and just found out online cheaper for more roaches)

Old 09-27-2011, 10:18 PM   #6
reptilebaby
They're a tropical roach so should be kept fairly warm.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:19 PM   #7
reptilebaby
And they can't climb so you don't HAVE to have a lid on the tub as long as it's a decent size.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:09 PM   #8
Magical Geckos
infestation is not a problem.. and you need temps nmuch higher to get them to breed

Old 10-08-2011, 08:24 PM   #9
critterfeeders
If you need dubia roaches I can help with that or if anyone does let me know, I have pretty good prices and I ship 7 days a week .

Old 10-16-2011, 11:26 PM   #10
ABDragons
If you need 1/2 or smaller you can contact me or look at my sale item :http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=275969

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!