No more dog beauty shop - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 07-04-2011, 03:01 AM   #21
Wolfy-hound
The first link is the one I use(and have used for years). The square built ones are the older model and I like those way better than the round built ones. I would clean the blades thoroughly before buying new clippers.

The blade itself has two major parts, one "base" part and one "moving" part. The hair can get between the two moving bits and that can jam up the blades. I use the Oster "Cool lube" spray to clean it(works best when the blades are already hot, the stuff evaporates that way). The blades can be resharpened(I have blades that are over ten years old being used commercially, they last a long time when properly cared for).

You can take the blade off the clipper, then slide the moving part to one side(not all the way off) and clean it with some alcohol, then slide the other direction(again not all the way so it pops off) and clean the other section. Then try it on some hair. Too much oil will attract the hair to stick between the blades, which is why I like the Cool Lube rather than oil. Petsmart sells a big can of Cool Lube fairly cheap. PetEdge.com is a good place to buy supplies and clippers. When you are done grooming your dogs, clean the blades again and THEN oil them so they are fine to be stored for a while.

The cottony texture is exactly the kind that will drive you crazy clipping it. The hairs are so fine that they slip between the blade parts. You didn't mention which size blade you're using either.

When the blade drive needs to be replaced, the blade will clatter rather loudly. It's usually really obvious, because it's noisy and the blade will often begin rattling back and forth. Replacing the blade drive is simple, I do it about 2-3 times a year(I'm using them commercially though, a home use shouldn't be too much of an issue). A new blade drive costs about $5, takes about 10 minutes to change. Or you can mail the clippers to a accreditted repair facilty that will charge like... $50.

The PRICE for getting a pro to groom your dog represents more than just whacking the hair off. You are paying for someone who is very experianced in handling and grooming pets. One slip of clippers or scissors can send your pet to a vet for pricy stitches. I've seen cats with holes in their skin you could put your hand in, dogs with missing chunks of skin or ears sliced halfway through, leg tendons severed.... all from someone trying to save a buck, and not knowing what they were doing. That doesn't even count the neatness of the groom, the less stress of having your dog groomed in minutes vs hours, the less mess in the house of the cut hair, wet hair, etc etc.

It doesn't mean you can't groom your own pet. Many people do and do a great job. But when you pay for a professional to groom a pet, you're paying for the fact that the person has experiance and is a professional who knows all the issues that might arise and how to deal with them. I myself wouldn't replace my car's brakes, I'd pay a professional to do that so I'd know it's done properly, safely and quickly(without making me tear out my own hair). I have friends who think nothing of changing their own brakes though. They do a great job. Same with grooming your own pet. Some folks can do it fairly easily, and there's no reason to pay a professional to do something you can do yourself for much cheaper.

I'd guess that 90% of my clients that try grooming their pet at home bring them back to a pro after one or two tries. Either the pet doesn't want to behave, the mess is crazy, they hurt the pet.... etc etc. The 10% that succeed and continue to groom them at home often will end up bringing them in once in a great while for something special for a holiday, or because they want something fancier, or mom is sick and can't do the dog.

If you've never groomed your own pet, don't be discouraged if it looks horrid the first couple times. Like everything, it takes a little practice to figure out the best way to hold the clippers, the directions you need to go to not leave tracks and dig marks, etc. Just make sure you don't leave areas ungroomed just because they are hard to get to or the pet doesn't like those areas. That's almost always the areas that matt up worst!

A pet grooming shop has a lot of overhead. Insurance(for the pets and public), rent, electric, water, supplies(all that shampoo, perfume, ear cleaner etc etc etc), maintanence, employees, regular business expenses.... the owner has to pay all of that before they get any of the money from grooming pets. I don't know any groomers getting rich off grooming pets. Plus we get to deal with the public and also with critters that don't always appreciate being groomed. This past week I did four different cats, all of which hated the idea of being groomed. I was bitten by three seperate animals on a SINGLE day(all of which have owners that declare "He's NEVER bitten anyone before" even though we know that's untrue). I also had to deal with two seperate crazy owners. I'll take the bites rather than the crazy owners ANY DAY. LOL!!

Old 07-04-2011, 03:14 AM   #22
Lucille
Theresa I appreciate that you are giving us advice and the benefit of your years of experience.
I wanted to ask about drying the hair before doing the trimming. I don't have a commercial dryer, I towel dry and then use my own blow dryer, is that OK?
Also, are there any particular shampoos that have done well for you or is any shampoo made for dogs ok to use?

Old 07-04-2011, 12:04 PM   #23
Wolfy-hound
Your hair dryer will just take longer, but it'll work fine. As long as the hair is clean and dry. Don't use high heat, obviously but it'll work okay. You can even wait overnight if the dog has thick double coat hair.

Most dog shampoos are fine. I'd stay away from shampoos made by Hertz, and flea shampoos as they tend to be harsh. The key to shampoos is to take a empty bottle, put in about 1/5 shampoo and 4/5 water(or even less shampoo). Shake that up and use that to wash the dogs, because it will rinse off easier and not leave residue that can make them itch. I tend to not use conditioners as they make the hair oily and hard to clip(and it attracts dirt).

I'm happy to give tips or advice. Happy clean healthy pets are good for everyone.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:24 PM   #24
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy-hound View Post

I'm happy to give tips or advice. Happy clean healthy pets are good for everyone.
Mojo and the crew send their thank yous for your time.
Attached Images

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!