Tampa diver replays frightening moments of alligator attack - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 06-04-2021, 08:17 PM   #1
JColt
Tampa diver replays frightening moments of alligator attack

TAMPA, Fla. — A Tampa man is recovering after an alligator attacked him during a dive along the Myakka River.

With a bandage wrapped around his head, Jeffrey Heim replayed the tense moments for ABC Action News Monday, the same day he was discharged from Sarasota Memorial Hospital.

“I thought I got hit by a propeller; it hit me so fast,” recalled Heim. “It felt like a boat was going 50 mph.”

Heim said he encountered the alligator while looking for shark teeth in Venice. It all happened within seconds of entering the water.

The alligator bit Heim on his head and hand, resulting in a skull fracture and 34 staples.

“Because of the bite force on those animals, he could have got me anywhere else and I would have died.”

Heim is an advocate for marine life who collects shark teeth. The Tampa personal trainer hopes to one day turn his passion project, shrkco, into a full-time profession.

With years of diving experience across Florida, Heim admits he should have known better.

According to Florida Fish and Wildlife, the mating season for alligators is in May and June, a time when they are more active and aggressive.

“Her environment, protecting her family,” said Heim. “That’s what those animals are bred to do, and I learned that the hard way. I’m lucky it wasn’t much worse.”

Heim calls it an act of God that he wasn’t killed on Sunday and remains thankful his recovery will only take a few weeks.

“I’ve never cried so much in my life,” said Heim. “And not from the pain, just from the realization of what I’ve gone through and how I was literally an inch away from death.”

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/r...ligator-attack

Old 06-06-2021, 09:45 PM   #2
Helenthereef
Wow, that's alarming.

I dived in the Solomon Islands where they told me not to worry about saltwater crocodiles underwater, the problems are usually at the surface, as long as you don't get in their way. Strangely enough I did not find that comforting...

Also, the lesson that it's better to get bitten on the head than elsewhere is a bit counter -intuitive.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!