I just can't beleive it - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-01-2010, 08:26 PM   #1
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
Unhappy I just can't beleive it

Some of you~ a lot of you~ have been around long enough to know about the whole saga of the het pieds I bought in 02. They wouldn't breed, wouldn't breed, I moved across country with them, they survived the trip but wouldn't breed, sent the female out on breeding loan and she produced slugs.........Finally last year she bred and produced ONE female pied.

So this year~ she is HUGE. Well over 3000 grams. Eating at EVERY feeding. Breeding at EVERY opportunity.

Well I've paid my dues. I've worked and worked and worked.....and it's paying off now.

So today I go down to feed. I smell it. The rancid odor. I think someone has vomitted their last rat. Start looking for it...

Nope

The odor is the het pied female. Face down in her water bowl, bloated, rancid and reaking.

I have no idea what killed her, and a necropsy was not an option......she was RANCID.

I've not brought in a new snake in over a year now. I've not lost a snake in......I don't even know how many years but I think it's been 5 or 6 years since the last time I had one die on me. She was only 8 years old. Not egg bound. Eating. Shedding. In a rack with a bunch of other snakes that are all fine.

I really suck at this.
This may be the last straw
I maybe ready to give up

Old 04-01-2010, 08:36 PM   #2
WiseReptiles
So sorry to hear this Cheryl. I am in disbelief as I read this and I am really at a loss for words except that I am so very sorry about you loss.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:41 PM   #3
tinmantribe5
I really really Feel your pain 6 months ago I lost a very nice pair of pastels I had raised since birth in a heating malfunction while paired up early.I learned a good lesson check each and every snake every 1-2 days!

Old 04-01-2010, 08:49 PM   #4
Maggot
Man don´t give up life is taht way be stronger and learn more from this

Old 04-01-2010, 08:49 PM   #5
TheFragginDragon
Wow Cheryl, truly sorry for your loss.....I've read some of your posts on your trials with the hets, and I can only imagine the frustration you're feeling. I hope you won't quit though. I know it may be cold comfort, but deaths do occur, sometimes for no seemingly good reason. You can't come down so hard on yourself, especially with all the work and dedication you've put to this endeavor so far. Don't give up.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:50 PM   #6
deborahbroadus
Oh, Cheryl that totally SUCKS! I am so sorry to hear this.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:55 PM   #7
SPJ
OMG! I can't believe that! After all the headaches.

Please tell me this is not some nasty April Fools joke.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:57 PM   #8
David Reid
Pick yourself up and get a new fresh start. You obviously like Pieds, get a trio of Het/visual animals and start all over again. Counting on one animal sometimes ends in disaster.

Dave

Old 04-01-2010, 08:57 PM   #9
garweft
I remember this from around the second clutch on, sorry to hear about her. This saga has been like the ultimate "what if" scenarios that get brought up when looking to invest in a reptile breeding project. I had a corn project set back after I lost 2 1st year breeder females in brumation. I hadn't lost a snake in brumation in years and this year I lost 2 from my most prized project.

Guess you just have to take the highs with the lows and hope in the end that everything just kind of evens out over time.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:11 AM   #10
Melinda
So sorry for this bit of really bad luck.

It seems the bad luck is going around this season. I found my pet tegu dead in her cage today.

I'm throwing in the towel if I don't get something decent this season. I'm tired....

Quote:
Guess you just have to take the highs with the lows and hope in the end that everything just kind of evens out over time.
Great advice.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!