Venomous in Illinois - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:32 PM   #1
Beardiefreak26
Question Venomous in Illinois

What are the laws on Venomous in Illinois along with crocodilians

Old 12-20-2011, 09:09 AM   #2
rcarichter
No venomous; looks like crocs are okay.

Noelle

Illinois

Category: B*

Summary of Law: No person may harbor, care for, act as a custodian, or maintain in his possession any dangerous animal or primate except at a properly maintained zoological park, federally licensed exhibit, circus, scientific institution, research laboratory, veterinary hospital or animal refuge. "Dangerous animal" means a lion, tiger, leopard, ocelot, jaguar, cheetah, margay, mountain lion, lynx, bobcat, jaguarundi, bear, hyena, wolf, coyote, or any poisonous life-threatening reptile. Persons who had lawful possession of a primate before Jan. 1, 2011, from continuing to possess that primate if the person registers the animal by providing written notification to the local animal control administrator on or before April 1, 2011. There are no state requirements for a person possessing other exotic species not defined as "dangerous animals."

Citation: ILL. REV STAT, ch. 720, para. 585/0.1, 585/1, 585/2, and 585/3

Old 12-20-2011, 01:54 PM   #3
AW2EOD
The IDNR will deem anything they want as dangerous. Trust me...I've been through 6 arrests, over $4000 in legal fees and 2 years probation, for having LEGAL animals, in Illinois. Simply for the fact that I wouldn't bow down and let them railroad me.

Burms and Retics aren't illegal, in Illinois, but they still confiscated a large male Burm from me. Their reasoning was that Brutus (my Burm), was rumored to the largest male Burm in the US. When INDR/Scott Ballard caught wind of that, Brutus was all the sudden "dangerous" and I was not allowed to keep him. They confiscated him, hoping for their own notoriety and/or monetary gain.

Scott Ballard...the INDR biologist, in Illinois, is a complete douche bag and a liar. He confiscates venomous and then keeps them in his house, even though he doesn't even have permits to keep them. He claims to be law enforcement, to manipulate people, when he is not. He confiscates constrictors and gives them to his friend, Steve Brown, over in St Louis...who is nothing but a hobbiest, who keeps snakes in his home.

Crocodilians will be confiscated, with fines up to $5,000 and possible jail time, in Illinois. Venomous consequences are worse.

Don't risk it...and stay off the radar, in Illinois, even if you are legally keeping non-restricted speices. Scott Ballard is always watching.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:07 PM   #4
LaxGekko25
"any poisonous life-threatening reptile"
Well, the law says no poisonous reptiles
That would imply that venomous are allowed, correct?

XD silly lawmakers!

Old 12-20-2011, 03:11 PM   #5
FosterHerpetological
Not to be off topic or rude, but if you are 16, I would never consider getting venomous/crocs.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:18 PM   #6
rcarichter
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaxGekko25 View Post
"any poisonous life-threatening reptile"
Well, the law says no poisonous reptiles
That would imply that venomous are allowed, correct?

XD silly lawmakers!
I thought the same thing! Snakes aren't poisonous, people eat them all the time! I suspect the officers (or impersonators thereof) would not see our humor. Oh well...

Noelle

Old 12-20-2011, 05:58 PM   #7
LaxGekko25
"Not to be off topic or rude, but if you are 16, I would never consider getting venomous/crocs."

Who was that directed at? I'm not 16
Nor do I want either of those

Old 12-20-2011, 05:59 PM   #8
LaxGekko25
I agree, and if it wasn't at me, ok

Old 12-20-2011, 07:36 PM   #9
LaxGekko25
Nevermind, Mr. Foster, you were talking to the thread starter, correct?

Sorry if I came across as rude or anything...

Old 12-20-2011, 07:56 PM   #10
FosterHerpetological
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaxGekko25 View Post
"Not to be off topic or rude, but if you are 16, I would never consider getting venomous/crocs."

Who was that directed at? I'm not 16
Nor do I want either of those
It was directed at the OP, in another thread he states he is 16.

No harm done.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!