Cold weather - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:07 PM   #1
WebSlave
Cold weather

Sheesh, the weather forecast is calling for an overnight low on Tuesday night to be 21 degrees. I'm thinking that since I really don't drive around all that much lately, I should just go over to the garage every day and open up the doors, and start up all the vehicles to try to make a contribution to that global warming stuff so it will actually kick into gear. As it is, I'm likely to freeze to death before the globe actually does get appreciably warmer....
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2014, 05:02 PM   #2
JColt
Last week we went from 68 to 34 over night in Ohio. 22 right now and expecting low of 9. Supposed to be 55 again by Mon. I just hope no repeat of last winter. That was just brutal. I live about 9 miles from Lake Erie and when that lake freezes and wind comes out of Canada, Oh boy!

Old 11-17-2014, 05:16 PM   #3
Snake-Queen
My low for Tuesday night is 19°

Old 11-17-2014, 06:22 PM   #4
snowgyre
This image is pretty much accurate. Taken from my fellow data-loving geek at XKCD. The analogy works for most places in the USA. Source: http://xkcd.com/1321/
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2014, 06:36 PM   #5
WebSlave
So, tell me again why the earth getting warmer, with a correspondingly longer growing season through much of the temperate zones (where I believe the majority of food crops are grown) for farm crops, is necessarily BAD? ANY change is likely going to be bad some places and beneficial in others. I doubt this has changed much over the entire length of time that there has been life on this planet. Anyone expecting the earth's climate to be absolutely stable and unchanging is likely just being unrealistic with their expectations. Me? I'll take 90 degrees over 32 degrees any time of the week.

Actually as best I can tell, most people can see an average warming trend if they have been alive long enough, but apparently are just not convinced that the government can *fix* such a thing with taxation and by giving them more control over our lives, if history is any guide. Give us a track record of a government much more adept at fixing ANYTHING and not being absolutely self-serving, and then maybe they will get much more buy-in with their hoped for plans.

Besides, aren't the same scientific groups that are predicting the effects of global warming the same people who have developed the modeling for predicting the local 10 day forecasts? If so, good luck on that long term forecast...... I sure wouldn't bet the farm on that one.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:42 PM   #6
Mooing Tricycle
LOL... 50 daytime temps are nice t-shirt weather! 20 night time well, you are inside at least.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:55 PM   #7
JColt
I don't know why the whole Global Warming thing is being used between both sides. I would think the idea of reducing carbon emissions, coal, oil and all would be better explained and justified as reducing pollution that sickens millions and kills thousands yearly would be enough.

I also believe there is middle ground on how quickly and efficiently that it happens. One side wants it done yesterday and other side wants to wait until it is too late.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:10 PM   #8
WebSlave
Well, one side's argument is effectively "Let us raise taxes and give us control of even more facets of your life and you will have to sacrifice now in order to try to prevent something bad that we are saying may happen long after you are dead and gone. Trust us." The other side's argument seems to be "Would you mind proving it first, BEFORE yanking even more money out of my wallet? No we DON'T trust you." Personally, I pretty much side with the later argument.

I guess it all boils down to (1) Do you trust what the government says are it's true intentions, and (2) Do you trust what the media says via their supposedly unbiased "reporting"?

In my opinion, I say NO to both.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:33 PM   #9
Snake-Queen
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post

I guess it all boils down to (1) Do you trust what the government says are it's true intentions, and (2) Do you trust what the media says via their supposedly unbiased "reporting"?

Neither is known for being truthful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-17-2014, 08:37 PM   #10
hhmoore
Last winter, they jacked the utility rates, so our heat & electric bills were 2.5 times higher (than the highest bill in the three previous years in this house). I'm expecting that they'll do it again this year...I just hope that it's to a lesser extent.
I still like this picture....
Attached Images

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!