Now, this is strange....... - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 05-31-2008, 01:11 PM   #31
Gary O
new post is working on my end.

You could try shutting down your browser and reloading it. But the cookie should still be the same. You could delete the cookies........

Old 05-31-2008, 01:45 PM   #32
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave
Yeah, same here. With streaming video and audio looking like the future on the net, SPEED is the NEED to realize the potentials. Imagine the internet today if speeds were still limited to the 300 baud when I first logged into The Source many years ago... Then imagine what the internet of 10 years from now could be like if speeds get to approaching local network gigabit speeds or better.

Right now, my Comcast connection is pretty fast:
Quote:
Download Speed: 17629 kbps (2203.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 2465 kbps (308.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
But I want FASTER...........
My middle (of three) result:

Quote:
Download Speed: 31108 kbps (3888.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 3783 kbps (472.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Old 05-31-2008, 02:17 PM   #33
WebSlave
Nice figures! You're on fiber, aren't you Jim?

Since I'm in the middle of the boonies, it may be a long time before Comcast upgrades the lines here. I had to fight just to get cable modem capability at all.

DSL is finally offered in this area, but when I tried it out, I found that they were at least three times slower than cable modem.

Old 05-31-2008, 02:46 PM   #34
Jim O
Yes, fiberoptic is fast! Some downside in terms of when the power is out for any length of time, so is your telephone. Verizon insists that you can only have a copper or a fiber connection, not both, and so you need to power the copper portion that is inside the house yourself. There is a battery backup but in the event of a long power outage, no phone. Likely no cell phones either, as the cell tower generators don't last long either.

I want to say the connection was even faster when I first had it installed. At the time they had just installed the system in my area and I was one of the first to convert. Now it's been here for around two years or so and the network is clearly busier, but still is very fast.

I have used both DSL and cable in the past. Cable is faster by far even here where I am close to the central telephone office. The problem with cable, and part of the reason I switched back then, was the cable company service department was terrible. We have Cox here and they use mostly local subcontractors. Back then when times were good, they didn't have enough people and it would be 4-5 business days for a service call. Things might be different now that new housing construction has slowed. We had intermittent troubles which they misdiagnosed as everything from my needing a signal amplifier in the house to a problem related to underground cabling elsewhere. It turned out that the problem was that the cable they had originally put down was not deeply buried, and the insulation had likely been chewed by an animal and the cable was damaged. They laid a new cable and the subcontractor's employees, who I would guess did not have green cards, cut my clearly marked main sprinkler line, the one coming right out of the pump. Needless to say I was fed up by then. About a week later I got the card in the mail from Verizon saying fiberoptic was available, and I dumped cable completely. I even went to DirecTV with which I am generally very happy.

Old 05-31-2008, 03:28 PM   #35
WebSlave
Comcast is no better. Matter of fact I sent an email to one of my county commissioners last night who has a reputation for getting things done. He has replied already and asked if he could forward my email on to the county administrator.

If I had a reasonable alternative to Comcast cable I would jump at it. But DSL just doesn't cut it and unless I'm willing to pay through the nose for something dedicated and extravagantly expensive, that's pretty much the limit of my options.

Old 05-31-2008, 04:05 PM   #36
Jim O
I complained to the Virginia State Corporation Commission on more than one occasion about Cox. I had the package from them that included telephone service. That is a regulated service here in Virginia and in order to offer that they have to meet certain benchmarks in terms of response times to "no dial tone" calls. So then they would wind up sending someone out sooner but that also got old in a hurry. If it was just cable tv/internet the only recourse I would have had would have been with the city of Virginia Beach (cities are independent of counties in Virginia). They grant the cable license and they are as useful as boobs on a bull.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:46 PM   #37
LadyGecko
I had the duplicate post notice problem this afternoon when I was trying to post a Good Guy thread on the BOI

I got the notice stating that this was a duplicate post made in the last 5 minutes on my first attempt to post the thread and it redirected me back to the BOI where there was no such thread posted by me

Just thought that I woud let you all know
Everything else was working OK including the spell checker-my fav tool-lol

I also posted this in the "server down" post

Hope that's not posting it in too many places

Sandy

Old 06-20-2008, 10:22 AM   #38
Beardiepal
This is the message:

Redirecting...

This thread is a duplicate of a thread that you have posted in the last five minutes. You will be redirected to the thread listings.

Click here if your browser does not automatically redirect you.

I tried to post on thwe BOI yesterday 3 or 4 times and this is what came up.

Thanks , Beth

Old 06-20-2008, 11:53 AM   #39
WebSlave
I think the MySQL engine may need to be optimized. I asked my programmer about it and that is what he suggested I look at. Sure enough, the my.cnf file is pretty much plain vanilla, and needs to be tweaked. I recovered the configuration file from the old server and am having the server techs look it over to make sure it won't negate something they may have done to the server with the operating system and PHP.

Hopefully that will fix it.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:56 PM   #40
Chameleon Company
Jesus friggin Christ. Can anybody explain this in words legal on a Scrabble board ? Thanks if advance.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!