Rhino igs: Cyclura cornuta - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-28-2011, 05:20 PM   #1
stolenheron
Rhino igs: Cyclura cornuta

I just got my first Cycluran iguana on a trade yesterday. It is 20 some odd inches long. It is very healthy, very active, and VERY wild. It is one crazy lizard, and that is coming from a guy who works with wild C. similis!

first off. what sex do you think it may be? the femoral pores seem to be fairly tight, like a female, but it is still young. It did live with a confirmed male of the same size with the previous owner without any fighting, they were lay on each others backs. I do not have another specimen to compare to regarding horn size, etc. I only have experience sexing C. similis.

I'm not too worried about taming, that takes time, patience, hand feeding, etc etc etc.

I do have a few dietary questions. It obviously has not had time to settle in yet, so I dont expect it to eat today or anytime soon. However, I was hoping someone could tell me what the rhino's favorite treat foods may be and what you feel a solid diet should consist of.

I generally feed my igs:
-romaine lettuce
-yellow squash
-zuccini
-broccoli
-red grapes
-carrots
-sometimes apples and bananas

should I be going to mustard greens, kale, etc?

here are the pics:

Old 08-28-2011, 07:43 PM   #2
AtrociousOne
looks like a female to me. awesome animal, congrats

Old 08-28-2011, 08:05 PM   #3
stolenheron
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtrociousOne View Post
looks like a female to me. awesome animal, congrats
that was my guess as well.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:54 PM   #4
stolenheron
the rhino shed a good amount on her underbelly after a few baths, her femoral pores look even tighter after the shed, I'm more and more sure that it is a she.

I'm also stoked, I saw her eat for the first time today (i knew she had been eating, but it was the first time she was willing to eat with my presence there). She is still extremely wild and aggressive inside of her cage. She goes nuts when you try to handle her for the first few minutes after she is out, but after that she calms down a bit and is only jerky when you go near her head or touch her tail. patience patience patience + time and I should have a very manageable ig

Old 11-26-2011, 08:32 PM   #5
soler1
contgrats to you, i too am a new rhino iguana owner. I have had breeding green iguanas before that were wonderful, even hatched 22 eggs of the cutest little greenies. that was many years ago and now i have Zando a 10 month old rhino iguana.

Food.. no lettuce please, all research shows that it is just filler food, no nutritional value. there is a book; the Green Iguana, Ultimate Care, that is fantastic for the similarities the rhinos share with the green. by James Hatfield, best book i have ever owned on herp care.

Let me know what you have learned about your ig so far. Zando just displayed an unusual habit today and i would like to see if it is in all rhinos. when let to roam out of his cage in a closed room, he rubs against everything, like a cat, feeling the different textures. he also slides on the indoor/outdoor carpet. its fun to watch, he looks like its enjoyable.

Zando appears to be female as well, even thought the shop said male.

Patricia

Old 11-26-2011, 08:35 PM   #6
soler1
oh so totally forgot... you show a picture with cedar chips... not good... cedar chips can cause respiratory distress. rhinos are sand & rock dwellers and paper towels, carpet, vinyl, can be used, i use the reptil cal sand, it wont hurt if they ingest a bit from time to time and with a sifter, easy clean up.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:17 AM   #7
stolenheron
the lettuce is rarely used for food.

the cypress mulch was only in the cage when i first put it in there, after that I put it back to sand. I own ctenosaurs and they have similar life styles and tend to dig alot. I just had the mulch left over from a previous animal.

It is still very crazy in the cage, but it getting better with my presence when I'm working in there. It has a nasty habit of defecating when first picked up, but after about 2 minutes of handling it tames down pretty damn well. It has already been to several classrooms, laboratories, and children's talks while being handled by both myself, adults, and younger children without issues.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:51 AM   #8
soler1
nice, thank you for the response. do you have any experience with the rubbing behavior i described? I am hoping its normal and not a deficiency of any sort.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:12 AM   #9
stolenheron
mine rubs her head alot, but it seems as though it is an irritation based thing. I have also seen her scratch her head like a dog as well. My ctenosaurs never rub up against things, neither did my green iguanas. at least none of them rub things "like a cat" as you described.

i love how good of a feeder she is. she loves prickly pear cactus as a treat and banana as well.

I'd like to mate her with a male when it comes to be that time in a year or more, not looking for the money necessarily, just i know (like all lizards) she is going to have eggs in her that need to come out either way, at least they would be fertile this time around if i do find her a boyfriend.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:05 AM   #10
soler1
If my Zando turns out to be a boy, she's got a date! Your bio says Alabama, but from your other posts, sounds like you live in Florida

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!