Savannah in Distress. - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:50 AM   #11
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Clark
Dennis, there is a monitor and a frog in the pic and maybe could have been posted in the monitor or amphibian discussion forum.
OK...

Old 06-10-2008, 05:25 AM   #12
KelliH
Quote:
Nothing at all wrong with the monitor, feeding a sick animal to another is not very smart.
I didn't ask if it was sick, I asked if there was something wrong with it. You know, hatched with a serious deformity, it got injured somehow and it was gonna die anyway etc. I don't think it's very smart to post a photo like that on a website that is for people that love reptiles but, hey, what do I know anyway.

Old 06-10-2008, 05:26 AM   #13
KelliH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Hultman
Just a thought. I'm not personally upset or take offense to the picture but why the choice of the Iguanas and Monitors section? Why not the frog section? To me it would be poor etiquette and here is my thought process on the matter.

There are those that keep snake eaters and feed them ball pythons. Etiquette would dictate if you were such a keeper that you wouldn't go to the ball python discussion section a post pictures of your animals of choice snacking down on the animal that those in that particular forum choose to keep and discuss the husbandry.

Much like the fact that I wouldn't go to a rat hobbyist site or forum and post pictures of my snakes eating rats.

Feeding a frog a lizard really has nothing to do with this forum. "Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum".

Just food for thought.
Exactly!

Old 06-10-2008, 07:20 AM   #14
Cat_72

Old 06-10-2008, 10:13 AM   #15
Ed Clark
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliH
I don't think it's very smart to post a photo like that on a website that is for people that love reptiles but, hey, what do I know anyway.
Tell me why this is not smart to post a pic like this, this is something that plays out every day in the wild. frogs eating monitors and monitors eating frogs. would it be smarter to conceal pics like this from "people that love reptiles"?

Why is a pic of a snake or monitor feeding acceptable while a pic of a frog eating is not?

What if you posted a Leo eating a mealworm and me being a lover of bugs gets offended by your pic?

Sometimes we all need to accept things at face value and not be ready to jump up on the soap box about every little non important issue that arrises?

Old 06-10-2008, 10:37 AM   #16
TheFragginDragon
The difference Ed, IMHO, is that this pic was not taken in the wild, it was taken under controlled conditions (i.e., in captivity), and apparently for amusement. You took an animal that will try to eat anything that happens across it's path, whether it's too big or not, and put in front of it an animal that (arguably) has some semblance of a personality and intelligence, took a picture of the inevitable outcome, and posted in on a forum page which is frequented by people that admire, keep, and perhaps, even love the very type of animal whose death you staged. It isn't a matter of what happens in the wild. If I were to post a pic of a Boa eating a parrot on the Bird general discussion page, you can bet I'd catch hell (and rightfully so).

Just because you can do something, doesn't mean that you should. It's a matter of respect and compassion.

IMHO, that is.......

Old 06-10-2008, 10:42 AM   #17
Cat_72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Clark
Tell me why this is not smart to post a pic like this, this is something that plays out every day in the wild. frogs eating monitors and monitors eating frogs. would it be smarter to conceal pics like this from "people that love reptiles"?

Why is a pic of a snake or monitor feeding acceptable while a pic of a frog eating is not?

What if you posted a Leo eating a mealworm and me being a lover of bugs gets offended by your pic?

Sometimes we all need to accept things at face value and not be ready to jump up on the soap box about every little non important issue that arrises?
As I believe Dennis already mentioned, it's like posting pictures of our snakes eating rats on a forum devoted to rodent keepers.

It may perhaps be different if lizards were the only thing that these frogs would eat, or if you hadn't given it a title that would more than likely encourage those who keep and enjoy monitors to open it, thinking they could help a monitor in need....

Old 06-10-2008, 10:52 AM   #18
hhmoore
For whatever it's worth, while the picture doesn't bother me, I find myself agreeing with Dennis and John. The only thing this thread has to do with monitors is that one was on the menu.
Since this particular forum is for discussion about monitors (and iguanas), and its target audience appreciates and enjoys them, it is my opinion that that picture would be better placed in the frog forum. so I'm moving this thread

Old 06-10-2008, 11:10 AM   #19
Ed Clark
Thumbs up

This pic was posted to stimulate some discussion and thats what it did.

Looking back...the amphibian discussion forum is better suited for this.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:21 AM   #20
Ed Clark
These guys are voracious feeders and will turn on each other and eat each other.
Attached Images

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!