Snake baby delivery fatality - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:11 AM   #1
Helenthereef
Unhappy Snake baby delivery fatality

This was originally a request for information while the snake was alive. Unfortunately the snake died, but the case may be informative.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...=176477&page=8

There's a difficult situation regarding a boa trying to deliver a stuck slug and a lot of dead babies. The OP would appreciate advice from experienced vets or others may have on how to conduct the procedure her vet has advised. Please check this thread out and reply to the OP there (NOT HERE) if possible.

Thanks

This is the last post describing the situation:

(QUOTE)
Just got back from the vet. Xrays were taken, those were very interesting. It's sad because it's my snake but still very fascinating to see.

She has a slug stuck (as suspected). After my friend palpated her, she started holding her tail weird, I was afraid he broke a bone in there. The good news is she's holding her tail funny just because she's uncomfortable and NOT because of any broken bones, there are no broken bones. Now the bad news... all behind the stuck slug are babies, babies that are almost certainly all dead by now. One of them is even stretched over the stuck slug, it tried to pass but got stuck as well. UG! So.. looks like there were at least 7 other babies but because of this one large slug she wasn't able to pass any of them. There were some dark pockets on the xray which indicate gas buildup... either it's normal gas in her intestine or it's gas from the decomposing babies. It's sad to see those poor babies that didn't make it.

So... plan of treatment: I have anti-biotics to give her. My vet advised me to try to push the slug back UP her (instead of out) which if I can do it, will allow all the babies to come out, then hopefully she can then pass the slug. I also have to give her an enema, which I've never done before so if anyone has tips that would be greatly appreciated. The only other option is surgery which the vet advised would be lengthy and difficult and I already know I cannot afford that option. So.. I suspect she's got about a 20% chance if I'm able to palpitate the slug back up. I'm going to give it a shot and hope for the best but I am prepared to have her euthanized if it comes down to it.

So that's the update. At least I have a plan of action and I feel so much better knowing what happened and what is going on inside of her. My vet is going to try to get me a digital copy of the xray which I'll be happy to share with you guys, it's very interesting to see.

Thanks again for the well wishes all, I'll post an update when I have one, good or bad.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:26 AM   #2
Daequix
Helen,

If the vet didn't suggest it you may want to use some sort of lubricant 'internally' when you are trying to manuever things. (not vaseline based stuff) but surgilube, and nonscented or gussied up sexual pleasure lubs (sorry but don't know what else to call em) and even something like olive oil or vegetable oil.

I'd try and get a small medication dropper or syringe to insert into the cloaca and instill the oils as well as the enema (is it a mineral oil enema?) It should help things move up or backwards a bit more and then eventually when she can pass the slug forward...

I wish the best for you and your boa....this has got to be tough!

Susan

Old 08-03-2010, 10:11 PM   #3
Helenthereef
Hi Susan,

Thanks for the reply and advice, I'll pass it along. Fortunately (for me) this isn't my boa, it's another members - see thread at

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...=176477&page=8

I'm rooting hard for April though!

Old 08-03-2010, 11:54 PM   #4
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daequix View Post
Helen,

I'd try and get a small medication dropper or syringe to insert into the cloaca and instill the oils as well as the enema (is it a mineral oil enema?) It should help things move up or backwards a bit more and then eventually when she can pass the slug forward...
Thank you so much! (waves, hi bree!!) I took your advise, she got the enema of 40cc luke warm water and then I also put in 1cc of olive oil right in the clocoa. She's in her (empty) soaking tub, so I'm hoping it helps pass what's in there. I was able to move the slug back up in her, looked like about 2 inches or so, so my fingers are crossed.
Thanks again for the advice!
-April

Old 08-04-2010, 01:36 AM   #5
Helenthereef
Fingers crossed, fingers crossed, fingers crossed.....

Old 08-04-2010, 08:02 AM   #6
hhmoore
PM'd you, April

Old 08-04-2010, 09:44 AM   #7
Daequix
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
Thank you so much! (waves, hi bree!!) I took your advise, she got the enema of 40cc luke warm water and then I also put in 1cc of olive oil right in the clocoa. She's in her (empty) soaking tub, so I'm hoping it helps pass what's in there. I was able to move the slug back up in her, looked like about 2 inches or so, so my fingers are crossed.
Thanks again for the advice!
-April

Of course! (I never could find the original post that was linked) but I'm going to hope she does okay with all of this....at least with snakes there is only one place an enema can go! Best of luck with it! (and hi back April!!!!! I wondered if it was you when Helen mentioned April!)

Old 08-04-2010, 10:06 AM   #8
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daequix View Post
at least with snakes there is only one place an enema can go!
That isn't quite accurate - the reproductive passage is separate from the GI passage...they just utilize the same exit.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:25 AM   #9
Daequix
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
That isn't quite accurate - the reproductive passage is separate from the GI passage...they just utilize the same exit.
Sorry for the error....I was referring to the meatus which is the term for the opening exiting the body...but I guess I should have been more clear. I stand corrected, thank you!

Old 08-04-2010, 01:46 PM   #10
AbsoluteApril
thanks everyone! So far, nothing has come back out. I'm calling my vet early this afternoon, will probably have to try this again.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!