A few Deer hunting pics - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 12-12-2003, 03:40 PM   #21
WaranTor
NAH Dennis i was just messing with ya! i know not everyone can hunt and not everyone has teh stomache for blood but i just argued with some woman about why animal control is necisary. right after a deer ran thru a target and just about decapitated itself on the carts. she just didnt get the fact that more deer starve to death if it were not for hunters!

everglades huh? i love camping down there i used to camp near the chaffelia swamp in LA when i was growing up! good times!

Old 12-12-2003, 03:54 PM   #22
ms_terese
I can't hunt, either.....possess neither the patience nor the skill. However, I can FISH, and I can certainly cook any sort of game that makes its way into my kitchen.

I don't have issue with hunting as long as the hunted is utilized properly. I *do* have to wonder why some people hunt things they don't eat just so they can "stuff" it as a trophy. That just seems not quite right to me.

As far as it being a sport.....I agree, unless the animal is armed, or it's hand to hand (hoof?) combat, it's not really a sport, more a skill. I guess it's a sport if you're in competition with other hunters.

Old 12-12-2003, 04:04 PM   #23
NEWReptiles
I use EVERY part of the animals I take.

This includes stacking the hides to get a leather coat made for the wife and I ( takes up to 14 deer hides to make a jacket ).

Here in WI we have so many problems due to the VERY HIGH Whitetail population, From car wrecks to crop damage.

And I for one love to cook/eat ALL of the game I hunt. I even go as far as collecting carcasses that are fresh car-kills.

Old 12-12-2003, 04:04 PM   #24
Darin Chappell
Dennis,

People hunt for different reasons. I am of Native American descent, and hunting is very much a cultural thing in my family. We do it for the meat (there have been years that the cupboard would have been mighty bare had it not been for a freezer full of venison!), we do it for the sport (and yes, it is a sport in the sense that it takes a great deal of skill, time, and effort to actually be a good hunter ... last time I checked, the baseball isn't trying to knock the batter out of the park ... the sport is in the effort of the sportsman, IMHO), but we also do it for the connection to time-honored family traditions.

That is not just true for me because of my Cherokee heritage, but it is certainly enhanced by it for me. Even so, I know many families, multi-generational families, that share the hunt together. It brings them closer in ways that not many other activities can.

Dennis, I respect you for your knowledge on lots of issues, but the only thing with which I can wholeheartedly agree with you in regards to this thread is when you said that this whole concept was, "beyond you." Not your cup of tea? I understand. I won't bother to invite you along with me. We can just go herping together instead.

But Dennis, as a herper, surely YOU can understand that just because what a person does is not perceived as being acceptable in the main stream, that does not make the person weird, heartless, crazy, or inferior in any way. Is that not the same sort of biases that we all fight against in an effort to keep our herps?!?!?

I hope you understand what I am trying to convey and accept it in the manner in which it was intended.

Old 12-12-2003, 04:06 PM   #25
NEWReptiles
Quote:
and yes, it is a sport in the sense that it takes a great deal of skill, time, and effort to actually be a good hunter ...
Well put Darin.

Old 12-12-2003, 04:40 PM   #26
Dennis Gulla
As usual Darin.......

a very well written and eloquently stated post...

As I stated earlier, I apologize to Al, the originator of the thread for "pissing" in his thread. I know this is a discussion forum, but who am I to come here and condemn anyone of you.

I understand it may be a part of your heritage Darin, as I am fascinated with American Indians. I collect Indian art. I have a number of animal skins, feathers and skulls on my walls. It was a way of life for them, survival...They actually had to hunt! And part of that hunt may have ment that one or several of them would be killed or severely injured in the process. I can respect that.

Maybe it's the attitude of some of these modern day "hunters" that gets to me. Oh well, such is life...

Old 12-12-2003, 05:02 PM   #27
Darin Chappell
I certainly wasn't chastising you, Dennis. There never was a need for you to apologize, in my opinion. Discussion forums have discussions in them, and that should be fine with us all.

One thing is for certain, there are a number of goof balls wearing camo this time of year. But I think those are the ones that get most of the press, while the responsible, traditional hunter gets overlooked. The bad image is transferred to us all, and the stereotypes persist.

I cringe when I hear about the hunting accident justified by some moron saying, "Well, I THOUGHT he was a turkey" ... just like I cringe when some idiot lets his two year old help hand feed the hungry 15' Retic with an attitude!

There are bad and good guys in every group, I suppose.

Old 12-12-2003, 05:03 PM   #28
WaranTor
the only things that make me mad are the few hunters that get all liquered up the night before the hunt, drive like a__holes to beat the sun because they oveslept, proceede to scare the hell out of any thing that stared moving that morning. and then decide that they are going to drink while they are ATEMPTING to hunt, and shoot at anything that moves! i found a small spike that wasnt a legal buck had been shot in the rear legs. the poor thing dragged itself about another thirty yards until who ever shot it shot it again. and then it dragged itself another ten yards to where it died and you coudl tell hwo ever shot it walked around it a few times, not just once. then left... i hate that! they coudlnt wait to tell it wasnt a legal buck before they shot at it. damn bastards! i just dont like to see em suffer. i have never needed more than one shot or arrow to take anything i have ever hunted down. my father and my grandfather and my great grandfather made sure their kids were near marksmen before they took them out.. my own father made me hit a target with a 55 pound draw bow that wasnt more than 2" wide before he took me hunting. and even then i had to hold the draw on it before i released for 3 minutes! talk about pain! but i guess i am luck my family generations cared about it so much because now i have a tradition that i can hand down to my kids some day!

and well put Darin, i agree! and respect everything everyone has said in this thread.

Old 12-12-2003, 05:35 PM   #29
NEWReptiles
Quote:
As I stated earlier, I apologize to Al, the originator of the thread for "pissing" in his thread. I know this is a discussion forum, but who am I to come here and condemn anyone of you.
No apology needed what so ever, I understand your view and it is most certianly welcome in this thread I started.

I am one of the very few people that love venision, I actually prefer it over pork and beef. I was getting scared before gun-deer season because my venision freezer was almost emtpy.
In the course of a week, I will average 3-4 meals that contain Deer.

Old 12-12-2003, 05:39 PM   #30
elrojo
Talking Got lucky this morning!

Ten point, big fella. Not a great rack, but still a very nice deer. And I've got a 6 point from earlier at the taxidermist !

Even more frustrating is that I can't post the #$%! picture! I HATE AOL sometimes.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!