Vote***financing Fauna***vote - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

View Poll Results: ***Funding Poll** What do YOU think is appropriate? (More than 1 OK)
A general use fee of $35/year, membership would be required to access site 18 8.33%
A membership fee of $10-25/yr. to access the BOI 32 14.81%
$35/yr. general membership fee but BOI/classified free 24 11.11%
Increased advertising fees and fees for all advertising 81 37.50%
I don't care 7 3.24%
If there were a membership fee, I would not visit Fauna 75 34.72%
I have no concept of economics, I did not realize it costs money to run a website like this 4 1.85%
After seeing how hard Webslave works to maintain this site, I want to help 38 17.59%
Increase fines 47 21.76%
I have other ideas for funding which I have listed below in my post. 26 12.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 02:35 PM   #1
Lucille
Vote***financing Fauna***vote

There have been a number of threads lately about the increasing costs of providing new equipment and upkeep on Fauna. I wrote this thread to provide a central place for y'all to vote your opinions.
Many people are helping via their contributions as well as participating in the Fauna Fund; however the costs will continue to exceed revenue without a more global approach. The % of contributing members is small compared to the vast numbers now visiting the site.

If you take the time to come to the BOI, **PLEASE** take the time to vote in the poll and/or discuss your opinion. It takes only a moment to vote and it is IMPORTANT
!

Old 01-28-2005, 02:39 PM   #2
KelliH
I vote that all the forums, including the Board of Inquiry, remain free to read and post in, but that members must pay to post ads in the classifieds.

Old 01-28-2005, 03:07 PM   #3
DAND
A $10 fee would be less than .03 cents a day. I don't think that is too much to ask for all the benifits received here.

Old 01-28-2005, 03:07 PM   #4
Intense Herpetoculture
I agree with Kelli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliH
I vote that all the forums, including the Board of Inquiry, remain free to read and post in, but that members must pay to post ads in the classifieds.

Old 01-28-2005, 03:20 PM   #5
Lucille
Fauna is like a family for some; for others it is a resource for information, and for MANY others it is the site of the BOI, a unique and hugely successful way to help and promote integrity in the reptile world.

I believe that it is worth the minor investment that this membership fee represents. Most of use spend more taking our family out to eat or going to the movies than an entire year of membership costs here. The benefits are many; I think it is time to require a fee so that we can continue to enjoy the many services here.

I very much appreciate this place from the forums to the BOI. I think it is worth my support, and I think it is worth yours too...

Old 01-28-2005, 03:41 PM   #6
KelliH
Quote:
I very much appreciate this place from the forums to the BOI. I think it is worth my support, and I think it is worth yours too...
I totally agree Lucille. It is a great site, and I appreciate it very much as well. That's why I have given my support and will continue to do so. I still feel very strongly that the BOI and other forums should be free of charge. A annual fee to be able to post ads in the classifieds would be a great way to collect some revenue for the site. I worry that if there was a fee charged to post on the BOI that some, or maybe even many people would stop posting there.

Old 01-28-2005, 03:42 PM   #7
makenna1103
I agree with the $35 membership fee and leave the BOI free. If you want to post classifieds then you need to be a member. This is the way it should be. This would enable the site to be upgraded and new features from time to time.

Old 01-28-2005, 03:51 PM   #8
Monte
Since you brought it up . . .

. . . isn't there some business model or consultant that Rich can use to help him with this? Why should you ask us? I think you are just asking for trouble.

I certainly don't mind paying for the BOI and I support Rich, but I think he has to decide what HE wants this site to be - and hire someone to help him figure out a way to increase revenue streams. Getting ideas from herp people seems a little pointless - esp. if you're shelling out as much dough as Rich is.

I don't know about you - but I don't get my teeth cleaned by my podiatrist and I don't go to a church led by my electrician. They may know about something about Feet and Jesus - but I want a trained person to help and guide me.

Rich - use the money raised to write a business plan and figure out how to increase the revenue streams. Then tell US what you are going to do.

We'll be here for you. It's worth it.

Old 01-28-2005, 03:52 PM   #9
jmkhet
I consider this place a good envestment as far as knowledge.If i had to pay a membership fee to be here id probably do it...now.If i was new to herps and this site i dont think id be inclined to pay 35 dollars, just my 2 cents.... Josh McDermott

Old 01-28-2005, 03:55 PM   #10
Seamus Haley
Quote:
I worry that if there was a fee charged to post on the BOI that some, or maybe even many people would stop posting there.
I know I would.

Rich took a lot of stands on a lot of things by creating the BOI. There was all kinds of talk about protecting the community and the general betterment of the entire industry. Charging people a fee to see if the person they're considering a deal with is legitimate or a crook? Charging a fee to explain that a deal went well or went south? These are beneath everything the BOI was supposed to stand for and directly contradict all the ideals which were spoken of so highly.

Now... ads... I could see a fee for posting in the classifieds sections. But the BOI and the discussion forums- if Rich *wants* the site to wither into nothingness and die (And without meaning any offense... He's seemed to be a lot more frustrated over minor things lately than was ever the case before. That "why do I bother" talk is more invasive and frequent) then a fee for the BOI is the way to go.

I believe he's mentioned that he has people waiting in line for ad space to clear up too... I can see a little room for some extra banners- places that would still be seen without being invasive to site content. Something to think of before making a move that results in the site's membership and activity to drop to a fraction of what it is. A situation I sincerely believe would be the case... charge for the BOI and it won't see anywhere near the use it does now. Less use = less USEFUL which means that subscribers will be less inclined to renew their subscriptions. That'll lead to even FEWER participants making it even LESS useful... downward spiral until he's forced to either abandon it completely or make it free again. Neither of which would be likely to sit well with those paid subscribers who might be left.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread