Seeking out toads is hard... - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 12-13-2020, 10:03 AM   #11
Socratic Monologue
Quote:
Originally Posted by godtiermeme View Post
Hm. They seem to get rather large, though. And don't they have some pretty bad toxins?
I really don't know specifics about Bufo. I think that if you're committing to CB American species (a good goal, IMO) you're likely going to have to make some compromises.

I agree with Vanessa's advice overall. I share the same reluctance to suggest WC anything, but the tadpole advice is -- again -- a responsible compromise. Please don't ever release a captive animal back into the wild, though -- it is illegal in some states, and irresponsible everywhere.

I agree wholeheartedly that vet care for amphibians (herps in general, really) is a minefield. Vets not well educated in exotics care can and do, repeatedly and blatantly, more harm than good. One reason why hobbyists can know much more than some vets is that many hobbyists (considered as a group) are much, much more knowledgeable about captive care protocols, which is the cause of the majority of captive herp ailments.

A dedicated, experienced exotics vet is a completely different matter -- these folks are to be sought out, and taken very seriously. I do agree that vet care is important, and if you are keeping any species, you should provide it all the vet care it needs, but only from a qualified provider.

You can find many of those knowledgable providers by searching at ARAV:

https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661

Old 12-13-2020, 10:18 AM   #12
LarryWardog
Quote:
Originally Posted by godtiermeme View Post
I will definitely take the next one to a vet, but I am looking for information on where to get one that is captive bred. Otherwise, I'd like to know about similar species. I know that I made a mistake by not taking my toad, but after seven months I'd assumed she'd be safe. I've already found out that an amphibian vet is just down the street from me.
The link provided is a great tool for searching for a hep vet. Most vets that do treat frogs know more than most keepers. The other benefit is unlike any hobbyist they can order medicine that a regular person can't get. This is in serious cases, but it is to be noted.

If the vet you choose doesn't seem to be able to help you, you can ask for a referral to a vet as well. Depending on what state you are in I know Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, and North Carolina have accredited vets. This means they are the best of the best. There are one or two in many states and some states have none that are as experienced.

I travel for two hours to take my toads and other amphibians to an accredited vet. Many people think that I am overboard with some viewpoints, but I am generally only interested in the best care for the animal and for every keeper to learn or become more aware of new information. I am still learning and there are many things I have yet to learn, but that is the case with every scientist and hobbyist. There were things I became aware of only after taking my toads to see a herp vet and that's why I push for others to see one. While many hobbyists have good knowledge, it is not the same as holding a degree regardless of a herp vet, herpetologist, or zoologist.

Sent from my BKL-L04 using Tapatalk

Old 12-13-2020, 11:49 AM   #13
godtiermeme
Thank you! Would a toadlet be close enough? And what dewormer would you use?

Old 12-13-2020, 11:51 AM   #14
godtiermeme
Gotcha. I looked and funny enough the vet i mention is a herp vet. There's even a frog on their sign. Thank you for the help!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!