Housing an UROMATYX with another UROMASTYX??? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Other Lizards Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-17-2008, 07:30 AM   #11
uroblade
I couldn't get an answer form him...

Old 09-19-2008, 05:59 AM   #12
uroblade
Any other iformations or advices???

Old 09-19-2008, 01:25 PM   #13
defcon222
Uro's can only be housed in pairs. Two females will fight when gravid and two males will almost always fight.

Housing different reptiles together is always a bad idea, even if they are the same 'type'. Would you house leopard geckos with african fat tailed geckos? Even though they have virtually the same requirments, the answer is no. Uro's of different speicies come from different areas and are adapted specifically for that area, be it tempurature, terrain, etc. I have a pair of Mali's and a pair of Saharrans that live in 4'x2'x2' enclosures and a juvenile Egyptian that lives in a 20L aquarium (until he gets bigger).

For breeding two different spciecies of Uro's (and I'm no expert), I Have not seen and mixed breeds. I've hear of saharrans and Malis mating, but I've never heard of the eggs hatching.

http://www.repticzone.com/forums/Uro...es/220621.html
That's a post I found doing some quick research, but nothing on breeding two species together.

Hope that helps.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:39 AM   #14
uroblade
Quote:
Originally Posted by defcon222 View Post
Uro's can only be housed in pairs. Two females will fight when gravid and two males will almost always fight.

Housing different reptiles together is always a bad idea, even if they are the same 'type'. Would you house leopard geckos with african fat tailed geckos? Even though they have virtually the same requirments, the answer is no. Uro's of different speicies come from different areas and are adapted specifically for that area, be it tempurature, terrain, etc. I have a pair of Mali's and a pair of Saharrans that live in 4'x2'x2' enclosures and a juvenile Egyptian that lives in a 20L aquarium (until he gets bigger).

For breeding two different spciecies of Uro's (and I'm no expert), I Have not seen and mixed breeds. I've hear of saharrans and Malis mating, but I've never heard of the eggs hatching.

That's a post I found doing some quick research, but nothing on breeding two species together.

Hope that helps.
That helped a lot thank you very much...

Old 09-21-2008, 05:57 PM   #15
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

I agree, those two species of Uros are not really compatible & I doubt that they would produce viable eggs.
They would be much better off housed separately. :-))

Tracie

Old 12-31-2008, 01:49 AM   #16
Blackraven
Quote:
Originally Posted by uroblade View Post
Thank you Miss Tuniwha.I wonder that if there are any problem in the cage that you keep 1.0 mali, and 0.1 Egyptian together???Are there any fighting,stress or something like that...

I also looked at that site but there isnt a exact solution there are may be's...
He says they can tolarate but there are expections...Thats why i wanted to learn something from who is experienced...
housing uromastyx together can be tricky i currently keep a morrocan and a mali together it can depend on size so similar sizes are good where they live becaue malis and morrocans are very close subspeices they mate in the wild if they smell different give them a bath together about 100 degree water if that dosent work you can out them side by side in two cages so they cqan see eachother and they will calm down after a few months and lastly if they still tend to fight you can brumate them together and when they wake up they should be fine if not they are just not compatible the problems with housing uros together is that one will start to loes weight if it gets bullied too much so always keep a eye on appitite it is a good rule of thumb that it is one male but it dosent always seem to be the case especially if they are fro m the same clutch and housed together for the duration of their lives

Old 12-31-2008, 12:20 PM   #17
Tim Cole
Quote:

Hope that helps.
Agreed. Males will fight even when just a few months old. As unique each locale is we would never consider breeding hybrids or intergrades. We have over 50 Uro's and are completing two separate buildings for breeding them. One is for brumation and the other is a converted green house for warm weather housing.

Old 12-31-2008, 03:28 PM   #18
Seamus Haley
Quote:

Hope that helps.
First... Leopard Geckos and African fat Tails do not have "virtually the same requirements" not even remotely. Keeping either one in the proper conditions for the other will give you dead geckos. Periphrial to whatever point you were trying to make but still... don't spread ignorant misinformation like that.

Secondly, "repticzone" has an enormous member base of users who do not know their ass from a hole in the ground. First time owners using three months of experience to write care sheets and answer questions, regurgitating and plagarizing canned responses with no actual comprehension of the subject matter or the cerdibility of the sources they have stolen it from. It's a festering murderhole of bad advice, ignorant keepers and twelve year old kids that shouldn't be allowed unsupervized web access.

Quote:
Also i have another question.Can different kind of uromastyx breed???
As to this... I hate you. Please place both your hands in a desk drawer and have someone smash it closed. Spend the time while they heal up thinking about what you proposed doing and reading some Shelley.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:55 PM   #19
John E Dove
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus Haley View Post
Please place both your hands in a desk drawer and have someone smash it closed. Spend the time while they heal up thinking about what you proposed doing and reading some Shelley.
Poster; "But, but I cannot read the Shelley"
Seamus; Shut up and read the Shelley!!!!
Poster says with a whine; "But I cannot read the Shelley"
Seamus roars; "Why can you not read the Shelley!!"
Poster crying; "Because I cannot turn the pages, I've broken both of my hands in the desk drawer."

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!