any info will help - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-26-2004, 06:58 PM   #1
alyson
any info will help

my burmese python has been rubbing a lot and now has scabs on his nose and lip, he has not been eating and I want to know if there is anything I can try and do to correct the problem before I take him to the vet and spend lots of money. any suggestions?

Old 11-27-2004, 06:08 AM   #2
HortonRidgeHerps
How old and large is the burmese? How long has it been since its eaten? What are your temps, humidity? What kind of enclosure is it in?

Sorry for all the questions, but the more info the better in getting to the bottom of your troubles.

- Steve

Old 11-27-2004, 05:21 PM   #3
alyson
he is about two years old and about 3 feet long. temp inside the cage is 78-80deg, humidity is good, I had a fogg machine but it broke recently. it is a 90 gallon glass tank, and it has probably been about 2 to 2 1/2 months since he has eaten.

Old 12-04-2004, 05:46 AM   #4
SnakeCharmerGuy37
only way to avoid nose rubs is not having screen lids or wire at all on the top of the cages you use id say to use some wood lids it help keep humidty up & helps premote better sheds & a healthier invorment & no more nose rubs but be sure wood lids not splintered its smooth surface to avoid other problems good luck CentralOhioSnakeCharmerGuy

Old 12-29-2004, 12:31 PM   #5
batgrrlx
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyson
he is about two years old and about 3 feet long. temp inside the cage is 78-80deg, humidity is good, I had a fogg machine but it broke recently. it is a 90 gallon glass tank, and it has probably been about 2 to 2 1/2 months since he has eaten.
Just out of curiosity, are you sure it's two years old?? Burms can reach up to 8-10 ft in their first year. As for feeding, I would try getting a large mouse (less danger than a rat) and put it in the cage with him and see if he takes to it. Sometimes they just need a little spark to eat.
Also raise the warm end temp some.. that seems a little on the cold side for a burm.

Let me know if that helps any.

Old 12-29-2004, 06:11 PM   #6
MR_Jungle_Mist
Quote:
Originally Posted by batgrrlx
Just out of curiosity, are you sure it's two years old??
I was just about to ask that very question..... I'm not sure how often you feed it but if it is, indeed, 2 years old then you have immensely underfed it and I suggest you do a little reading up on burmese pythons at this point to learn how to keep them properly. There is no reason a 2 years old burm should only be 3 ft.

As for the nose-rub - I would take a serious look at the environment this snake is in. I would tend to think that something is off. Either the temps are wrong, the habitat is too dry (or too wet although I doubt it), too small or just that this snake is plain hungry and unhappy! Please post more about how this snake is kept!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!