Shipping a group of ball pythons, need help with box size - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:05 AM   #1
cmor1031
Question Shipping a group of ball pythons, need help with box size

Hi, I am going to be shipping 6 ball pythons, and I am trying to figure out whether I can ship them together in the same box, and if so, what size I should get?

Here are the sizes:
2000g
1300g
800g
900g
800g
600g

Which roughly ends up being 16lbs.
I am not sure how I should ship them together, I would put the largest ones in snake bags, and then I was thinking of maybe putting the smaller ones in large deli cups.

I basically just need some advice, from people who have previously done this.
Also, roughly what size insulated box should I get, I am starting to think that the 15x15x7 will be too small.

But mainly I want to know if it would be alright to put the 6 snakes together in one box in snake bags...
thanks in advance for the help!!

Old 03-10-2012, 05:42 AM   #2
bigdogg
I shipped 18 Adult Ball pythons to Kansas a cpl years ago. I used 2 24x18x12 boxes. I shipped Delta Dash and taped the 2 boxes together to save on cost. As they had flat rates. I would use either an 18x18x12 or a 24x18x12

Old 03-10-2012, 08:53 AM   #3
snowgyre
If you put the babies in deli cups just be sure to either use a few rubberbands or tape to secure the lids. It's amazing the tiny spaces snakes can squeeze through given time and the opportunity.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:00 PM   #4
cmor1031
Hey bigdogg, how did you pack them though? I figure if I put them all in snake bags with some shredded paper and then fill the rest of the space in the box with padding, that they should be alright. I have a 16x16x10 box from a recent purchase and I bagged them all up to see how they fit in there, and there was plenty of room, so I'm hoping the 15x15x7 insulated box would work, but I have no problem using a larger box if I feel they don't have enough space.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:46 PM   #5
bigdogg
Snake Bags, Papertowel inside bags, newspaper in box. Bunch of heat packs as it was 22 degrees outside. Delta Dash.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:48 PM   #6
Willow
shipping that many snakes in one-two boxs with delta seems like it might be ok...has anyone done this with fedex? with this many larger ball pythons (not hatchlings hehe)

(unless the OP plans to use Delta Dash...then never mind lol)

Old 03-10-2012, 08:53 PM   #7
bigdogg
I shipped a 43 lbs anaconda with FedEx before so I don't see a problem just plenty of air holes and lots of shredded paper in bags might be ok

Old 03-10-2012, 10:42 PM   #8
cmor1031
I am planning on shipping fedex, I feel that delta would be too much of a hassle for me. Thank you for the input guys, I really appreciate it.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:58 PM   #9
blackandblue_lulu
So when shipping all you need to do is keep them in a bag? (I am new) What material? Then you keep a paper towel in there and newspaper on the outside?

I don't want to do it wrong when I get to this point.

Old 09-23-2012, 04:30 PM   #10
robyn@Pro Exotics
There aren't any real giant Balls in that group, nor any tiny ones, so you shouldn't have smashing issues. I would include some crumpled newspaper in the bags themselves, and then fill any remaining empty space in the box with more newspaper. You want to create enough packing and security that the bags won't slosh around against each other inside the box.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!