Exposed Hemipene - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-27-2006, 09:28 PM   #1
BryonsBoas
Exposed Hemipene

I have a male leo that has a hemipene exposed . It doesn't seem to bother him and I've kept it moist with with antibacterial ointment. Is there anything I can do to get him to zip his britches?

Old 01-27-2006, 10:46 PM   #2
ColeonyxCorral
I just had that happen. I euthanized him.

Old 01-27-2006, 10:59 PM   #3
Jeremy Letkey
Alex, I think that was a little drastic.

Bryon, you can give him soaks in a kyro syrup and sugar solution. Make it so that it covers his belly, when inside a small tupperware dish. After the syrup soak you can dab some preperation H on the exposed hemipene. Then place him back into his sterile container. Keep the container damp as well as warm. Youe can repeat the soaks and Preperation H about every four hours. It may take a few days to retract. If it doesn't retract with 2-3 days I would get him to a vet.

Old 01-27-2006, 11:01 PM   #4
The NY Gecko
i bet thats encouraging, -_-, no you should give him sugar soaks and preperation H

Old 01-27-2006, 11:28 PM   #5
BalloonzForU
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Letkey
Alex, I think that was a little drastic.
Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Letkey
If it doesn't retract with 2-3 days I would get him to a vet.
Agreed again. I just had this happen with one of my babies too. With treatment it wouldn't go back inside. So the one side was amputated. I'm pretty sure if you take care to keep it moist then that is the worse that would happen. Euthanize only if infection sets in and has no chance of survival, due to not taking care of it to begin with.

Must be the season for it, cause this is the fourth case I've seen posted here in three weeks.

All I have to say is at least they have TWO!!

Hope your little man feels better soon.

Old 01-28-2006, 04:58 PM   #6
Kazoo
This might be a dumb question..but what does the sugar "do" that helps it retract??

Old 01-28-2006, 05:00 PM   #7
BalloonzForU
I'm pretty sure it helps with the swelling.

Old 01-28-2006, 09:03 PM   #8
Golden Gate Geckos
Do a search on this FORUM for "Prolapsed Hemipenes" and you'll find tons of great advise for a problem that is not to rare for this time of year.

Old 01-28-2006, 09:43 PM   #9
BryonsBoas
Thanks for the help. I'm thinking no on putting him down , just a bit more than I really think the situation deserves. If its still out monday I'll call for a vet appt.

Old 01-29-2006, 11:39 AM   #10
ColeonyxCorral
sorry to be a little encouraging. I had kept him on a sand substrate, and by the time i found it, it was blackish purple and he wouldn't move/eat.

Thanks,
Alex

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!