fresh but denting eggs - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-31-2007, 03:03 PM   #1
thebrandonisgood
fresh but denting eggs

I have a new batch from a few days ago that are denting badly. I have them in vermiculite at 82 degrees, with a small cup of water in it. I keep adding water to the vermiculite but its to the point where it will be too wet if I add more. Is it normal for them to dent for the first week and then puff back up? The rubbermaid containor they are in is not sealed 100%. That might be my next step.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:11 PM   #2
hhmoore
Are they fertile eggs?
I know many people will insist that you have to use unventilated egg containers...but I never have. I keep my bull eggs at around the same temp, in vermiculite, and have not had problems with early denting

Old 05-31-2007, 09:30 PM   #3
homegrownherps
Don't add to much water. The vermiculite should be damp ...not dripping.
Squeeze out as much water as you can , that should make the vermiculite right where you need it to be. I also cover my eggs with damp Sphagnum moss , again make sure it is damp and not dripping , squeeze out all the excess water.

I only add more water when the vermiculite dries out.

I have had eggs dent a few days after being laid and still hatch. Only remove them if they start to rot.

I don't think the container not being fully sealed will matter to much.

Keep us posted.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:49 AM   #4
thebrandonisgood
Thanks, I'll add some damp moss to the top and see if that helps. Maybe I'll post a picture too. One egg has some discoloration on it. I was going to throw it out but it is firm. As far as being fertile, I assume they are because I did witness them being locked up for a while. It is her first batch through, and she didn't lay until 16 days after her shed. I thought she was going to pop!

Old 06-01-2007, 12:21 PM   #5
homegrownherps
[quote=thebrandonisgood]Thanks, I'll add some damp moss to the top and see if that helps. Maybe I'll post a picture too. One egg has some discoloration on it. I was going to throw it out but it is firm. As far as being fertile, I assume they are because I did witness them being locked up for a while. It is her first batch through, and she didn't lay until 16 days after her shed. I thought she was going to pop!
QUOTE]

A little difficult to tell by the photo, but they do look to be good.
I wouldn't worry about the discoloration, I would just leave it unless it starts to rot, then remove it (carefully if it is attached to other eggs). Even though you witnessed them "lock up" doesn't necessarily mean the eggs will be fertile.

Now comes the hard part...waiting

Old 06-01-2007, 01:22 PM   #6
thebrandonisgood
Oh, that picture is right after they came out, before they started denting real bad. I'll post a current picture of them when I get a chance. Breaks my heart ;(

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!