Did you know you can get Emu eggs in the mail?!? LOL! - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:26 PM   #41
LadyOhh
Awesome Cheryl! Congratulations!

Old 01-03-2008, 12:39 PM   #42
Miss Tuniwha
oh my goodness they are so darn cute!!!!

I can't wait to see that Emu baby!!!!

Old 01-04-2008, 01:41 AM   #43
Cat_72
Cheryl, for whatever reason, the splay legged baby turkeys seem to occur fairly often....pheasants seem to be even more prone to it, from my experience. I've found that just by using small strips of that first aid tape and binding their little legs the proper distance apart (put the tape just above their little knees, running a strip between the legs and wrapping around the legs) that usually within a few days they seem to turn out fine. I can only remember one poult that didn't respond to my "tape therapy" and had to be put down.

Making sure they have a surface where they can get good footing as Randy said makes a difference as well. I've got old flour sack dishtowels I've used that work well, but you have to replace and wash them a LOT, lol. Paper towels actually work almost as well.

Great thought about the marbles too Randy, I've used that trick as well with both turkeys and wood duck babies. The pretty shiny things seem to really attract their attention.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:05 PM   #44
Nagini
Do you guys know of anyone that sells button quail eggs? Thats what I'm looking for. Emu are a bit big for me XD

Old 01-11-2008, 12:40 AM   #45
Cat_72
I've always had the best luck ordering thru Murray McMurray hatchery.

I don't know anyone who raises the button quail consistantly, so I can't help you on that one.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:10 AM   #46
Cat_72
And as long as this thread is up here.......Cheryl, have you tried candling the emu egg?

Old 01-11-2008, 06:54 AM   #47
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
Yep~
Can't see ANYTHING
it looks like a giant avacado and it's shell is so thick I can't see inside~ even with a maglight. I have NO IDEA if it is alive or not. I just keep turning it!

Old 01-11-2008, 09:02 AM   #48
Cat_72
LOL, that's what I was wondering. I guess I had never actually tried to candle on of those buggers, so I didn't know if the light would even penetrate the shell. Apparently not....

How many days ya got left cooking that one?

Old 01-11-2008, 09:47 AM   #49
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
I'd have to chack the paperwork to be sure~ but I think about 35 days left

The chickens and turkeys are all still alive (wow!) Getting BIG~ getting feathers! I'm moving them out of the aquariums in the kitchen and into cardboard box brooder in the garage today. We are gonna start building the hen house tomorrow so we have a few weeks to "get it right" before they move outside.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:59 AM   #50
Cat_72
They look great Cheryl!

Amazing how quickly they feather out and start trying to fly around, isn't it??

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!