Very odd. No birds. - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:40 PM   #21
nickolasanastasiou
Wonderful. Thank you. They scold me as well (along with various woodpeckers) when I patrol the grounds during the daytime.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:55 PM   #22
E.Shell
Been millions (seriously) of robins here in central Virginia. I don't think they ever really left, plus some northern birds stopped in.

They have been eating cedar and holly berries like crazy, and on the warmer days, digging worms in areas swept bare of snow by the winds. Seeing flocks of several hundred birds at a time, trading back and forth between food sources. I run 10 miles of VA-22 between US-15 and Louisa, VA and both sides are lined with cedars in many places, with robins running non-stop kamikaze missions back and forth across the 55 mph traffic. Surprised not to see more dead ones... They were doing the same thing up US-522 when I ran up to MD this past week. We got 20" of snow here and high winds, but the next day, the snow under the trees had exposed red holly berries laying on top from being shaken loose, like bird beacons...

Anybody have any recipes? Maybe some sort of marinate to get the worm taste out?

Old 02-05-2016, 12:24 AM   #23
WebSlave
Yeah, the gold finches are here now in full force. I had to put up another feeder so they wouldn't be crowding the one by the house so much.

As for carolina wrens, if you want to put up some good nesting sites for them, just leave old boots out on the porch. They will make nests in the strangest places.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:26 PM   #24
BeauBoi
We have only lived here (James Island, SC) for about 6 years now, but we are right on the coast with the ocean on the otherside of the street in front of our house and we have a really big freshwater pond in our back yard. Anyway, every winter we have had TONS of birds that stay in our pond which we feed and enjoy seeing, but this year they arrived REALLY late. No doubt it is due to the weird weather and all, but I was really worried about them when they didn't show up a couple of months ago. I am glad they are here now of course, but it is still worrying, as I can't help but to think that the weather is seriously affecting not only their migratory patterns but also their breeding season...
~Beau

Old 02-08-2016, 08:45 PM   #25
Lucille
There are some birds here now, and hopefully the normal patterns will re establish themselves. The total lack of any birds earlier this year was not normal.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:02 PM   #26
WebSlave
Yeah, we have tons of gold finches now, but the odd thing is that the males are already getting their bright spring color.

Interesting times we live in, it seems.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:22 AM   #27
BeauBoi
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Interesting times we live in, it seems.
Is that part of a Chinese curse supposedly? Lol You are right, though, it seems to become more "interesting" as time marches on...
Personally, I think it is time for us to just face the facts, that there are just way to many of us living on this planet, and to try to do something about it before we destroy it...but it doesn't seem to be a popular opinion....
~Beau

Old 02-09-2016, 08:41 AM   #28
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauBoi View Post
there are just way to many of us living on this planet, and to try to do something about it before we destroy it...but it doesn't seem to be a popular opinion....
~Beau
I wonder why?

The gummint could simply issue vaccines to those it deems worthy, and set out a fatal contagious virus. Or perhaps genetically modified foods could be engineered to do away with a significant portion of the population by carrying more than just food genes.

That would certainly do what you propose, but what if YOU get the short straw?

Old 02-09-2016, 09:08 AM   #29
BeauBoi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
I wonder why?

The gummint could simply issue vaccines to those it deems worthy, and set out a fatal contagious virus. Or perhaps genetically modified foods could be engineered to do away with a significant portion of the population by carrying more than just food genes.

That would certainly do what you propose, but what if YOU get the short straw?
I get that the lawyer in you takes things to their "logical extreams", but REALLY???
When did I "propose" anything that you just suggested? Really, Lucille, please don't put words in my mouth.
If your curious, why not ask what I propose? Personally, I think that education is the answer. If you look at the numbers, the higher level of education a person receives, the more likely it is that they will have only one child or be childless.
~Beau

Old 02-09-2016, 09:23 AM   #30
Lucille
Quote:
When did I "propose"
Quote:
Personally, I think it is time for us to just face the facts, that there are just way to many of us living on this planet, and to try to do something about it

What you said was 'try to do something about it' and did not elaborate. Leaving your post open to ideas/interpretation. I would think that I am not the first person to think that population control could be accomplished in a tyrannical, authoritative manner that would profit whatever regime is enforcing the control.

As far as education, if you will look at population in Utah, there are above average size families at every education level, this may have to do with culture/religion. I think education is a good idea, however, I think that many people here in the US are already paying exorbitant property taxes, much of which goes to the local school districts.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!