Weird egg laying timing - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-02-2005, 12:41 AM   #1
BluGnat
Weird egg laying timing

Tilly has been laying a clutch roughly once a month. She's in a 20L with her mate, and they get along incredibly well. They are so cute together. She laid her first viable clutch Feb 4 (those just hatched this week), and another March 3. Then she laid a clutch on March 19. Today, my 10 year old son found freshly-laid eggs in her box when we were on our way out for a wallk. Now, the eggs that she laid on the 19th are kind of slimey, and one is getting caved in, despite the moisture level being high enough. Is it possible that she quick-brewed a couple of infertile eggs (the 3/19 ones) for some reason? If so, is this indicative of something that I need to change in their husbandry?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Old 04-02-2005, 11:26 AM   #2
dragonflyreptiles
I have some a group that 2 different females laid (1-2 days apart but basically on) 2/19 fertile, 3/1 fertile, 3/17 infertile then yesterday got 4 fertile from the 2 girls so I guess its normal, I take their mate out when they are about to lay and put him back in a few days after the eggs are laid so I have no idea why those are infertile.

Last year all I got from the leos were infertile eggs, I think it was the male so I don't have anything to compare it too.

Most of my other leos are just getting ready to mate since I bought them in Jan, but I do have a few that are laying now and most are all fertile or all infertile but thse 2 girls with the same male flip flopped on me.

Old 04-02-2005, 11:27 AM   #3
weswright
Was this her first breeding season?

Old 04-02-2005, 11:30 AM   #4
BluGnat
Quote:
Originally Posted by weswright
Was this her first breeding season?
Yes - and her very first clutch, which I didn't list above but was laid in Jan, was infertile.

Old 04-02-2005, 11:32 AM   #5
dragonflyreptiles
Mine are first timers too Heather so that is probably what it is. Ive had infertile eggs on 3 cluthes in a row from 3 other females, then got fertile clutches last week.

Old 04-02-2005, 11:36 AM   #6
weswright
Did you see any molds or anything like that? I guess the slime you described could be some sort of fungus. I would say that it is entirly possible that she laid a couple infertiles beings this is her first year. I wouldnt worry to much unless it starts spreading to your other eggs.

Old 04-02-2005, 11:41 AM   #7
BluGnat
I'll keep a close eye on them. They're in a separate container in the incubator. I am incredulous that she can produce two clutches two weeks apart. Wow. That's a lot of egg makin'. I'll assume that they're infertile, and keep a close eye on them, JUST in case. Thanks for your input!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!