L.t.micropholis discussion - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-04-2009, 01:16 PM   #11
D. Mong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Heck, many moons ago I got real interested in the taxonomy of the big triangulums and had a desire to get my hands on some micropholis (among others). Never had any luck. The only one I could find who had even HAD some recently was Ernie Wagner. And even then, he told me that the identification on them was rather "iffy". A lot of the importers at the time were getting these animals (central and south American triangulums) from whatever country was allowing exports at the time, but the animals themselves were being collected from all over Central and South America and then shipped to the export country of the day to be exported to the importers in the USA. So when they came in, the importers would label the animals based on what they LOOKED like, as they really had no idea of the actual origin of the animals.

I purchased absolutely every writing I could find about triangulums and the more I read about the "differences" between the various flavors of neotropical milk snakes, the more confusing it became.

It was right about then that I lost interest in the taxonomy of L.triangulum ssp. I came to the conclusion that unless you went down there and collected them yourself and if there were such minor differences between the subspecies that just about no one could really tell one from the other without knowing the location source, then why bother?

Icing to that cake was when I saw so many aberrantly patterned Sinaloans magically become transformed to "Nelsoni" when the amelanistic nelsons hit the market.

Not to try to take this too far off topic, but tell me, how come such minor differences in triangulums can justify subspecific status yet there are differences much more dramatic among the corn snakes and they are ALL considered as the same subspecies? What is the rule of thumb being used here?
"Icing to that cake was when I saw so many aberrantly patterned Sinaloans magically become transformed to "Nelsoni" when the amelanistic nelsons hit the market"

No doubt Rich. That is around the time that I acquired that SUPER nice(real-deal) genuine nelsoni from you in Ft. Lauderdale many years ago. That male was probably the nicest text-book example of one that I, or any of the other mik-head guru's I know have ever seen.

As you mentioned, many of these, and many other milks can be a "hodge-podge" of mixed lineage. I just laugh when I see so-called amel "sinaloae" for sale now days.....what a joke that is.

When I point out excellent examples of these snakes to people that are very used to seeing mediocre, intermediate examples, they are blown away at the big difference that there is between the different types.

Oh, by the way Rich, when I talked to you at Daytona this year, you said you would try to look at your records to see where/how you acquired that nice specimen, so I could take note of it's history. If you could do this, it would be greatly appreciated.

I bought the hatchling nelsoni from you at the Furn Forest Nature Center in Margate Florida(basically Ft. Lauderdale) around 95 or 96. This should help with finding some records on it hopefully.

thanks!, ~Doug Mong

Old 12-05-2009, 06:57 PM   #12
D. Mong
After talking to Scott Ballard on the phone today about some things, he also reminded me again that the person that got bitten by the micro, and got rid of it shortly afterwards WAS you..LOL!

I was thinking this could be a distinct possibility as I was posting this the other day, but figured maybe not though. We have talked about this several times in the past, and Scott said you had another one that was paired with the one Glenn Slemmer photographed in Williams' ~Systematics~......very cool indeed, and that micro featured in the book was QUITE the killer micro specimen to say the least....wow! I would give away a body part or two to own a pair that looked like the one in the book..LOL!

anyway, best regards Bill!

~Doug

Old 12-05-2009, 07:07 PM   #13
D. Mong
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlassiter View Post
As far as I know these are very rare in the hobby.
I thought Shannon Brown was working with some, but I am not sure.

They are almost as rare as L.t. dixoni.......I know of no one working with this ssp. and never seen any offered anywhere.......

Yeah, I think Shannon told me a good while back that he sold his group of Popayan milks.

Also, Shannon had a chance to score a couple dixoni many years ago(can't remember where now though dangit), at a show somewhere(how lucky!). So as he thought about it a bit more as he walked around the show, he thought to himself, yeah!, I'll go back and get those bad boys. When he got back to the guys table, he saw them being carried off by a guy that lived in Europe, never to be seen again............OH!.....THE AGONY!!!!!

Sad story indeed..LOL!

~Doug

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!