Wanted Looking for Glyptemys muhlenbergii Breeder(s) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Classifieds > Other For Sale/Wanteds Classifieds > Turtles/Tortoises

Notices

Old 11-09-2020, 04:03 AM   #1
Chondroviridus
Looking for Glyptemys muhlenbergii Breeder(s)

I am trying to find people that currently work with and breed Glyptemys muhlenbergii. I am in the process of applying for an ESA commerce permit from the USFWS and would like to reference possible sources for my foundation stock. I am optimistic the permit will get approved and would like to discuss the prospect of acquiring 2-4 CB20 hatchlings. I appreciate any assistance in locating legally produced Captive Bred hatchlings. Mahalo, Ken
  Contact User Check User
Old 11-09-2020, 07:37 AM   #2
chelidman
Best of luck in your efforts Ken, but even if you do manage to get an ESA permit for this species yourself, I highly doubt you will find anyone else with an ESA for this species. USF&WS has a strict policy of not issuing ESA permits for native US species.

Old 11-10-2020, 07:59 AM   #3
Chondroviridus
Aloha Paul, I appreciate the insight and reply. When I spoke with the regional office and explained my purpose for acquiring them, they seemed receptive to the idea and directed me to which specific permit application to use, they didn’t mention it would be that hard to acquire, I appreciate the insight and I’ll reach out to them again to verify.

Also, I was under the impression that if I fly out to whatever state I’m acquiring them from and pick them up directly, then only I need the permit... is that incorrect information?

I appreciate your time and feedback Paul!
  Contact User Check User
Old 11-10-2020, 09:15 AM   #4
chelidman
That is definitely incorrect, and USF&WS has run stings on people by travelling to other states trying to purchase ESA-listed species. If you travel to another state to purchase an ESA-listed species, both parties still need to have a CBW.

I'm not trying to discourage you from your efforts, but I would definitely advise you to be sure you get any "assurances" from USF&WS in writing. DO NOT take anything they tell you verbally as fact.

Good luck!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!