How tame are your Kenyan sand boas? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Rosy, Sand, Ground Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

View Poll Results: How tame are your KSB's?
I've never met a mean KSB 9 42.86%
Most KSB's are nice but I've met a few snappy ones 10 47.62%
Some are tame but usually I can't trust them 1 4.76%
Not now, I'm bleeding on the keyboard 1 4.76%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-29-2004, 10:25 AM   #1
meretseger
Question How tame are your Kenyan sand boas?

Because of their small size, sand boas are often called beginner snakes. But no beginner wants a snappy snake! I think it would be cool to see what the average temperment of Kenyans are in this forum. If you can, post how many KSB's you have and what age and gender they are. Ironically, I can't post this myself right now because I've left my list at home.I want to say I have something like 25 individuals. In my experience, babies can sometimes be snappy, and adolecents bite very often. Females usually grow out of this but males sometimes don't, or they do but it takes them longer. Handling helps, of course.

Erin B.

Old 06-14-2004, 12:24 PM   #2
elaphe_mo
I have 3.3 kenyans, all 1-3 years old. The males are all pretty much ok, 2 of the females are usually fine but sometimes are a bit cranky when first picked up, and the one albino female is nuts. Her name is Spazz, and she almost never can be picked up without lashing out a bit. She is getting better, but still not near as calm as any of my other Kenyans.

I still think these guys are pretty good beginner snakes all things considered. Of course I've seen a lot of people say johnii make great beginner snakes, and mine are the most neurotic of any sand boa I've ever owned.

Old 07-07-2004, 09:18 PM   #3
Karen Hulvey
I have 1.1 adult Kenyans and 1.3 '04 babies. All are normal and one is axanthic. (SP?)

The only problem I have is the adult female will launch herself out of the sand and attack. It seems to be her favorite pastime. When the lid opens to her container you have to be prepared. After her first attack, she's fine.

p.s. she eats like a pig and is gravid, however she did this before she was bred.

Karen

Old 09-08-2004, 12:47 PM   #4
MGReptiles
I have 1.1 triple hets from the bean farm and they are ok most of the time...Then out of the blue they will decide to popcorn...Funny little fellers...

Old 10-08-2004, 12:27 PM   #5
Sand&SunReptile
I've had some Kenyan experiance. I love them. Beautiful animals.
Anyhow, the majority were nice, with the occasional nipper, or feeding over zealous animal.
Good beginner pets if you have the time needed for a reptile in general.

Old 10-24-2004, 04:41 PM   #6
carraig
I have 1.3 '04's and all are extremely chill. Never once had any of them even even snap, let alone actually bite.

HH,
Carraig

Old 10-25-2004, 07:03 PM   #7
psykel
ive been biot by a couple kenyan sands which is why i want them but since when can snakes be tame?

Old 10-25-2004, 08:08 PM   #8
Sand&SunReptile
Oh boy. Is this fair Nick.
Start up the whole tameability debate, AND let people know you're a sicko who likes being bit...?
Heh just playin man.

Old 10-26-2004, 05:26 PM   #9
psykel
lol mike
true i like being bit but whats the point in having something if its not going to try and kill you or harm you
but its true
since when can snakes be tame

Old 10-26-2004, 08:26 PM   #10
Sand&SunReptile
I know I know.
Tame. Nothing is tame. Everything has teeth and can bite.
Placid, mild mannered... Many terms for it.
I proved today tame is false. I was bit 4 times. We have 4 Ball Pythons currently at the Pet Store I work at. They havent bitten ever. Today, each and every one bit me. I dont know why. I washed my hands before and after each handleing. I defenitely did not smell like rodents. Considering after the 2nd bite I washed up to my elbows just incase.
Then I got bit by the usual crowd. I supplier was in, got bit by a baby boa, some baby cali kings, and a few skinks.
I was bitten more today, than just about every other bite in my life combined.
Ah well. No stitches, no venom.
Funny story.
I was showing a customer one of the Ball Pythons, when I got bit by him. The customer looks at me, and says "hey buddy, the snakes biting you." WOW REALLY?
The he says "did you know you're bleeding?" No, not a clue pal.
And, it seems every time I get bit by a snake being shown to a customer, each and every one points this out to me. Gosh, I would be lost without such attentive customers.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!