Largest prey a 3 Ft Rosy can eat? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Rosy, Sand, Ground Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-05-2004, 01:22 AM   #1
Stevefromsd
Largest prey a 3 Ft Rosy can eat?

What is the largest prey a 3 Ft Rosy can eat? Can a 3 footer eat a large mouse? Or do they have to stick with small to medium sized rat pups for life?

Old 11-05-2004, 07:01 AM   #2
Sand&SunReptile
It can eat adult mice. I don't know if it will, since you have been feeding rats.
Rats and mice have different scents, and it might not realize that the mouse is food.
It could eat it though, size wise.

Old 11-05-2004, 10:31 PM   #3
Scott D
I've got a newly aquired Adult female San Gabriels that will eat nothing but small to medium ADULT rats. She's a monster, 39 inches. I didn't really believe the guy I bought her from when he told me that she was that big and ate adult rats, so I about fell over when I opened up the box she was shipped in!

Just thought I'd put in my $0.02

I'll try to post a pic.

Take care
Scott

Old 11-06-2004, 10:30 AM   #4
Sand&SunReptile
Wow, she is huge!
I'd bet she would throw some super babies, must be fun having such a large rosy.
I think San Gabriels are the largest species. I know there is one, where it isnt uncommon to see one of that size.
And this proves a point, it's hard to give blind advice. It all comes down to judgment.
I mean, small rats are like large adult mice. Different amounts of nutrients, fats, ect... I wont get into pH levels.
But, if it is larger, you obviously feed it larger prey, just as the giant rosy eating medium rats lol.

Old 11-07-2004, 10:59 PM   #5
Stevefromsd
Now that I'm treating my Rosies for internal parisites, I'm hoping they can finally keep adult mice/large rat pups down.

Old 11-09-2004, 05:15 PM   #6
psykel
my adult rosies are fed adult mice or rat pups
one of my females could eat a small rat no problem but i wont give small rats to them
thats just me

Old 11-09-2004, 06:18 PM   #7
Scott D
I wouldn't feed her rats, but she will not take anything else. I tried large adult mice many times, she will not even sniff them, but she hammers rats every time. It would be nice if she would take mice, I've been all over town twice now looking for "just the right size".

Later,

Scott

Old 11-09-2004, 10:46 PM   #8
Sensinitas
The boas from Hemet and Riverside get the biggest!

Old 11-10-2004, 07:19 AM   #9
Sand&SunReptile
Pro Breeder has them, and I want some. They not only are beautiful snakes, but quite commonly reach up around 4 ft! That is just a cool rosy to have around.

Old 11-10-2004, 07:50 AM   #10
psykel
feeding your rosy rats is fine
but personaly i wouldnt give anything bigger than a rat pup unless it was a 4 plus footer

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!