Heads Up! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:42 AM   #1
deborahbroadus
Heads Up!

Subject: INTERESTING HOLIDAY SHOPPING NOTE

I wanted to give everyone a heads up that if you intend to give gift cards around the holidays, you need to ensure that the cards will be honored after the holidays. Stores that are planning to close after Christmas are still selling the cards through the holidays even though the cards will be worthless January 1. There is no law preventing them from doing this. On the contrary, it is referred to as bankruptcy Planning. Below is a partial list of stores that you need to be cautious about.

Circuit City (filed Chapter 11)
Ann Taylor- 117 stores nationwide closing Lane Bryant, Fashion Bug ,and Catherine's to close 150 stores nationwide Eddie Bauer to close stores 27 stores and more after January Cache will close all stores Talbots closing down specialty stores J. Jill closing all stores (owned by Talbots) Pacific Sunwear (also owned by Talbots) GAP closing 85 stores Footlocker closing 140 stores more to close after January Wickes Furniture closing down Levitz closing down remaining stores Bombay closing remaining stores Zales closing down 82 stores and 105 after January Whitehall closing all stores Piercing Pagoda closing all stores Disney closing 98 stores and will close more after January.

Home Depot closing 15 stores 1 in NJ ( New Brunswick ) Macys to close 9 stores after January Linens and Things closing all stores Movie Galley Closing all stores Pep Boys Closing 33 stores Sprint/Nextel closing 133 stores JC Penney closing a number of stores after January Ethan Allen closing down 12 stores.
Wilson Leather closing down all stores
Sharper Image closing down all stor~s
K B Toys closing 356 stores
Loews to close down some stores
Dillard's to close some stores

May be more..but this is all that is known for now.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:07 AM   #2
WJS Herps
"Bankruptcy planning" aka screw over the unknowing. And people wonder why folks have no trust in businesses or the economy.

Thanks for the head up Deb. I used to shop pretty frequently at Circuit City and I'll make sure no one's planning on getting me a gift card from there!

Old 11-25-2008, 11:08 AM   #3
WJS Herps
I meant "heads up". God I think my fingers are a little slow today.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:57 AM   #4
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJS Herps View Post
I meant "heads up". God I think my fingers are a little slow today.

No Prob.

*Don't sweat it, I make typos all the time. My fingers like to play tricks on my brain.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:44 AM   #5
WebSlave
Someone posted a similar list on one of my other sites....

Quote:

According to Snopes.com (the 'myth buster' site) this info appears as "partly true"

But the info does appear correct that a store can still sell gift cards even if it's filed for bankruptcy, and also doesn't have to honor the gift cards, which is a bit disturbing....

Wanted to give everyone a heads up that if you tend to give gift cards around the holidays; you need to be careful that the cards will be honored after the holidays. Stores that are planning to close after Christmas are still selling the cards through the holidays even though the cards will be worthless January 1. There is no law preventing them from doing this. On the contrary, it is referred to as 'Bankrupcy Planning). Below is a partial list of stores that you need to be cautious about.

Pier One - closing some selected stores

Circuit City (filed Chapter 11)

Ann Taylor- 117 stores nationwide closing

Lane Bryant, Fashion Bug, and Catherine's to close 150 stores nationwide

Eddie Bauer to close stores 27 stores and more after January

Cache will close all stores

Talbots closing down specialty stores

J. Jill closing all stores (owned by Talbots)

Pacific Sunwear (also owne d by Talbots)

GAP closing 85 stores

Footlocker closing 140 stores mo re to close after January

Wickes Furniture closing down

Levitz closing down remaining stores

Bombay closing remaining stores

Zales closing down 82 stores and 105 after January

Whitehall closing all stores

Piercing Pagoda closing all stores

Disney closing 98 stores and will close more after January.

Home Depot closing 15 stores 1 in NJ ( New Brunswick )

Macys to close 9 stores after January

Linens and Things closing all stores

Movie Galley Closing all stores

Pep Boys Closing 33 stores

Sprint/Nextel closing 133 stores

JC Penney closing a number of stores after January

Ethan Allen closing down 12 stores.

Wilson Leather closing down all stores

Sharper Image closing down all stor~s

K B Toys closing 356 stores

Loews to close down some stores

Dillard's to close some stores

Old 11-26-2008, 07:33 PM   #6
ZX11
Thats not bankruptcy planning, that is more like unearned income anticipation. Them sorry bastids. This should be highly illegal as it amounts nothing short of deception and theft.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:14 PM   #7
WebSlave
Yeah, it pisses me that Circuit City wanted to have me renew the extended warranty on my flat screen TV for another four years. I'm sure they knew something was in the works then. Fortunately I declined, or I would REALLY be pissed right now.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!